Anyone ever bought "used" battery birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roverjohn, Oct 29, 2010.

1. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    There's a guy locally selling 18 month old, molting, Golden Comets for $4/ea. I would think they would have pretty decent production still and supposedly have had all their vaccinations and whatever else production chickens get. Never really thought of doing this sort of thing but it would be an inexpensive way to build my flock by a few birds.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They probably have at least another year and a half of decent egg production, understanding that will need to complete the molt first. The price is right.

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I would buy some if there were some near me. Sounds like a good deal and ur rescuing them from being slaughtered. All of my hens have forever homes even after they stop laying. I couldn't live with myself if I had throw away girls. I say go for it and good luck.

4. xenorph

xenorph Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    For 4 bucks you could always throw 'em in the crockpot and make some dinner.

5. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I'm sorry, but when you say "battery hens", are you talking about true battery birds that have been used for commercial producton? If so, there is a lot more to it than bringing in somebody's 18 month old hens....

6. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I never have, but I'd certainly jump to get a couple for that price!

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Please elaborate.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

$4 is what we paid for our GSL chicks... and then 18+ weeks of feed... to finally get layers... so on that front seems like a good price to me and you'll be saving them from a less than roomy life.

9. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    A few years ago I bought a bunch of Ex White Leghorn battery hens who were molting. I think I paid $3 a piece for them. I took them home and the poor things didn't even know what dirt was. It took them a few months to grow their feathers back and to realize they were chickens. They were great layers each laying around 5 eggs per week. I kept several and sold the rest as laying hens. I would try it. They may not give you an egg every day, but I would think you would get at least 4 or 5 a week from each hen.

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Never bought em like that but for the price I say jump on it. I would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by