Anyone ever bought "used" battery birds?

roverjohn

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
KCMO
There's a guy locally selling 18 month old, molting, Golden Comets for $4/ea. I would think they would have pretty decent production still and supposedly have had all their vaccinations and whatever else production chickens get. Never really thought of doing this sort of thing but it would be an inexpensive way to build my flock by a few birds.

They probably have at least another year and a half of decent egg production, understanding that will need to complete the molt first. The price is right.

I would buy some if there were some near me. Sounds like a good deal and ur rescuing them from being slaughtered. All of my hens have forever homes even after they stop laying. I couldn't live with myself if I had throw away girls. I say go for it and good luck.

I'm sorry, but when you say "battery hens", are you talking about true battery birds that have been used for commercial producton? If so, there is a lot more to it than bringing in somebody's 18 month old hens....

A few years ago I bought a bunch of Ex White Leghorn battery hens who were molting. I think I paid $3 a piece for them. I took them home and the poor things didn't even know what dirt was. It took them a few months to grow their feathers back and to realize they were chickens. They were great layers each laying around 5 eggs per week. I kept several and sold the rest as laying hens. I would try it. They may not give you an egg every day, but I would think you would get at least 4 or 5 a week from each hen.

Back
Top Bottom