Anyone ever breed a Bantam roo with a normal sized hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Oct 12, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    The post about fertile eggs below made me think. I want a rooster and was considering a bantam (figure smaller roo smaller crow). All my girls are normal sized so if they bred wonder what their babies would look like.

Anyone have them breed together? If so do you have pics? What was the outcome?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh my - I am not a breeder, but my chickens sure are! Just try to keep Alex, George, Charlie, Frick, or Nugget from mounting the Bigger Ladies! (Silver Sebrights, Buff Brahma, mottled Cochins, all bantams.)

There are LOTS of cross-bred "designer" chickens in my flock. Orpington mixes with feathered feet, silvery coloration on larger chickens, gorgeous gold and orange hackle "necklace" feathers on others. Some of them are slightly smaller than their mommas and some are just as large. It's only the bantam mommies which make smaller chickens; the LF gals make LF chicks with the bantam feathering, either coloration or feathered feet. Basically, if an egg is small, what hatches from it is small, and if eggs are large, what hatches from them is large.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I did not know that! Maybe I will get a roo after all. I've seen some very beautiful ones and I would love to have one.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This is Frick, a bantam roo who is QUITE the ladies man.
    [​IMG]

And Alex, a Silver Sebright. He and his brother George have fathered a few chicks.
    [​IMG]

This is George, with Red, a LF Gold Laced Wyandotte hen. "Get back! She's big, she's beautiful, and she's MINE!"
    [​IMG]

This is Nugget, a bantam Cochin. Isn't he gorgeous?
    [​IMG]

And this is an old picture of Charlie, a bantam Buff Brahma.
    [​IMG]

A newer photo of Charlie, but still almost a year ago.
    [​IMG]

They have all fathered chicks with LF hens.

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    By bantam cochin roos are always mating with my LF turken hens....Have gotten some cute chicks from that pairing [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Your boys are very handsome, I'm so jealous [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Happens all the time in my backyard. The little cochin/silkie rooster I just got is determined that he's actually going to complete the act of mating one of my brahma hens one of these days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by