Anyone ever eat a barred rock? How about a buff orpington?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cupman, Jul 26, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have 12 chickens and 7 different breeds. My barred rock rooster is gigantic, the hen is also very big. The only other bird comparable to size is my buff. All birds are roughly 15 weeks, or maybe 16? I am losing count. These 2 breeds are considerably bigger so I was debating on possibly raising some for meat. Anyone ever eat those breeds? How did they turn out? I am still weighing in all the options so no final decision yet, probably wouldn't be until next spring that I began hatching some. Dorking sounds neat too.

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have not, but I hear they taste like chicken. [​IMG] [​IMG] I crack myself UP!! haha!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. bullpup95

bullpup95 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Vancleave, MS
    Both are dual-purpose so I would imagine they would be pretty decent, but that'll depend on what your feeding them.

4. Britt417

Britt417 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:HAHA! [​IMG]

5. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I have both breeds and use for dual purpose of meat and laying. The buff's laying ability is very good and they are great mothers. For a dual purpose it's hard to beat those two breeds. Just realize that they take about 4.5 to 6 months to get to a nice butcher size depending on feed, living conditions and time of year vs the Cornish x at 8-9 weeks.

6. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I gave a barred rock the beer can chicken treatment on the grill last night - he was superb! [​IMG]

8. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    We ate a Silver Wyandotte cross rooster, very delicious soup broth. Nice and rich.
    They are about the size of the breeds you are talking about.

9. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I've raised Buff Orpingtons for meat and they are very good. like any DP breeds, the breast is modest compared to a true meat bird but i feel that the flavor is better. You can easily get Buffs between 4 and 5 pounds dressed in 16-20 weeks. I'm trying the White Rocks this year and they seem to be much larger than the Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. I just can't believe how big they are getting.

10. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:I second on BOs, I took some at 18 weeks and they are very nice size (wanted to do 16 weeks but got delayed), the breast is small but the legs and thighs are long and big, like small turkeys legs. Very dark meat on those but i like dark meat:) I have one of my cockerels (I kept him) that was 5 pounds at 12 weeks- he was head and shoulders above the others though. So it is possible to get them at a youngish harvest age!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by