Anyone ever fake injured to see what your dog will do?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Silly question..
tongue.png

We did it tonight to see if our Saints are really "rescue" dogs like they say the breed is supposed to be...

Hubby flopped face first on the ground acted like he passed out.
roll.png

My male saint, Duke was such a good boy! He ran over to him and started to gently nudge his head to see if he could wake him up...
When hubby didnt wake up he started walking around his body and nudging him all over ...
Then he stood over him to like protect him... and looked confused.
Then he started to nudge him again... and he finally got his head under hubby and flipped him over onto his back! and then stood over him and looked over at me like "Would you GET UP! And come help me here! "

Now my female saint, Daisy Mae? Yeah... no help at all..
When hubby fell down she grabbed her squeaky toy and ran around the house like nuts with it... then she would go up to hubby and nip at him... Not bite.. but kinda mouth him. She was more frantic and running around and my male was calm and persistant trying to get hubby up.

So.. heres my evaluation..
My male luvs us and will try to "help" us and protect our body...
while my female thinks its funny and will try to consume our corpse... (the witch is on the way to the pound as i type..)
gig.gif

Anyone else have any stories where their dog tried to help them when they were injured??

Last edited:
As you know, I don't have to fake injury to gauge my dogs reactions. It just comes naturally to me. After my recent fall, Kane came over and started licking all over my face; big help there. Jax licked my face and then laid down parallel next to me, with his head facing in the same direction as mine, so I can grab hold of his collar. Then all I have to do is say "up" and he slowly stands up and moves forward, to help me up. This is what we trained him to do.
Maybe Kane will learn to do it too, when his mind isn't so full of puppy nonsense as it is now.

Last edited:
My Boxer, "Crockett" plays nursemaid to me all the time.

I've wondered how he might react if someone hit me or tried to....but I'm in no hurry to learn. He is quite STRONG but he is also a real "sweetheart". I've never seen him act aggressive toward anyone. But, I know that he is capable...it would just depend on what "conclusions" he might make himself. He's quite smart.

When I don't feel well...he is always right there "nursing" me or trying to "perk-me-up".

They understand much more than some folks give them credit for.

smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Those GSD sure deserve their reputation as guardians!

I've only had Shelties and Collies and every single one of them reacted the same way to a faked injury. They all came up and stuck those long noses right in my face and sniffed and tickled with those whiskers until I couldn't fake it anymore. Then they pranced around as if saying "I knew you were faking all along!"
tongue.png

That said, I know of a Collie whose life was saved by a quick thinking owner. This was a well trained Collie, but had been a rescue. He was off leash training and got seriously spooked by something out of nowhere and took off in fright right towards a busy boulevard. When he didn't respond to a recall, the owner threw himself on the ground and started thrashing around and screaming as if in pain. The Collie screeched to a stop and hurried back to see what was wrong with his owner. Love overcame fear!

Oh yeah, my Sheltie Melody - who had never even nipped at anyone all her life - went for my creepy boyfriend (now ex) when he had me on the ground whapping me with a pillow during a pillow fight. She went for his throat with no warning growls or anything.

Last edited:
Quote:
Jax is so smart!
love.gif

Yeah..i bet Kane will do the same once he gets a bit older.. GSD dogs are great for being loyal and protective to their family.
smile.png

I know.

Last winter--I think I posted this story on this section somewhere--my mother was dog-sitting for us. Took both her dog and our dog for a walk, slipped on some ice and knocked herself unconscious. When she came to, her dog was lying alongside her with his body pressed against her and my dog was curled around her head.

Quote:
LOL.. that person was smart! Awesome way to get your dog to come back to you when they're being stubborn!.. I'll have to remember that one..
lol.png

Yeah..Daisy NEVER ever nips at us or anyone else either...
I think that shes SO stinkin smart she KNEW that daddy was "playing"... and was just trying to get him going or something...
My female has always been very smart... we call her McGuiver..(sp?)... if there is a way out of a fence..she'll find it...over a fence...she'll find it. She figured out in winter time she can jump ON my pool and jump down and escape.(and then get BACK ON the deck like she was never down at all..
lol.png
..) We have to make all these crazy barriers on our deck every winter so she cant escape..... wont go near it in summer though (when i want her to take a swim.. go figure..
hmm.png
..)
Dog gate in the house... yeah.. forget it..she goes over it..(and its HIGH).. we have to have cargo NET up in our door way over the gate... *sigh*
Waiting for her to figure out locks and door knobs next next..
roll.png

Where as my male..well.. hes a bit slow... real mellow and not very bright. (poor Dukie)
He took daddy falling very serious.. Hes such a sweetie.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom