Anyone ever get charged by Meyer AGAIN after initial order??

flocktastic

Songster
Feb 18, 2015
TEXAS
So we placed an order for some chicks at the end of Feb (due here next week) and we got our total (ordered online), paid and thought all was said and done. I was going over our bank statement and see an ADDITIONAL $43 charge, 6 days after our initial order was placed. Mind you, I never authorized this and it's our main checking account they debited.

I called them up and asked why we were charged an additional $43 - without my consent too. She revised our order and said they actually forgot to calculate shipping when we ordered. Supposedly everything was paid for! Who comes back and charges shipping later - and doesn't say anything - just charges your debit again?

I wasn't planning on that and I'm pretty disappointed with our first experience with Meyer unfortunately. She told me they "tried to send an email the 25th asking about charging the shipping"...I checked all my folders - everything - there was no email from them. She apologized but still - had I thought our order was going to cost an ADDITIONAL $43, I would have re-thought it. :-/
Anyone else ever have this happen?

(I mentioned to her, in the future, they might want to CALL people and actually ask - not rely on email - because technically, that was an unauthorized change to my bank acct that we had no clue about.)

Oh dear, I'm so sorry you had this bad experience with Meyer....we've actually ordered 5-6 times from them, and both received shipped birds and picked up from the actual facility, and never had a single problem. I don't quite understand what happened to you, either, and I'm beginning to think that with all hatcheries, there are both positive and negative reviews on their customer service.
sad.png

-Alex

Last edited:
Oh dear, I'm so sorry you had this bad experience with Meyer....we've actually ordered 5-6 times from them, and both received shipped birds and picked up from the actual facility, and never had a single problem. I don't quite understand what happened to you, either, and I'm beginning to think that with all hatcheries, there are both positive and negative reviews on their customer service. :(

-Alex

I'm not one to make a big stink unless I've really been wronged ...I believe there was a problem with their system at checkout...& another problem and miscommunication when they charged us again - I'm pretty forgiving and know accidents happen. Was just kind of disappointed and chose Meyer based off the great things we'd heard, plus my late father in law used to order from them as well.

Now I'm just hoping we have a good experience with the shipping/arrival of the chicks. (Which I know we may lose some and also depends on USPS)

It's encouraging to hear you had good experiences! I hope that's the case from here on out!
1f60a.png

I'm not one to make a big stink unless I've really been wronged ...I believe there was a problem with their system at checkout...& another problem and miscommunication when they charged us again - I'm pretty forgiving and know accidents happen. Was just kind of disappointed and chose Meyer based off the great things we'd heard, plus my late father in law used to order from them as well.

Now I'm just hoping we have a good experience with the shipping/arrival of the chicks. (Which I know we may lose some and also depends on USPS)

It's encouraging to hear you had good experiences! I hope that's the case from here on out!
1f60a.png
It's definitely understandable that you would be upset! I can't say I blame you, especially since that happens (unfortunately) to be your initial incident with Meyer. I probably would have gotten a bad taste in my mouth had this happened to me right off the bat.
smile.png

On a much brighter note, I'm positive you'll be extremely pleased with the quality and beauty of your new chicks!
-Alex

Wow! When they sent you the FIRST reciept (usually in p.d.f. form in email) You didn't notice there wasn't a shipping charge? You might want to look back to your very first reciept and "make sure" you weren't charged twice for shipping because they have a VERY DETAILED RECIEPT. Every single charge is labeled and clearly broken down INCLUDING SHIPPING CHARGE. just to make absolutely CERTAIN you weren't already charged. when you went over the very first reciept, did you notice shipping wasn't there? Also on the top of the receipt1 it should state if they are shipping express or priority. ( this depends on how close or far you are) if I were you I'd look over that very first reciept and see if shipping was included or forgotten. so far my experience with Meyer has been excellent. I've added a few times to
my order and made several changes. Each time, I'm sent a new reciept with everything CLEARLY broken down. including shipping charges. Do check that first reciept and see if your shipping was left off. I really can't see how it could be left off because you HAVE to go through the shipping at checkout??Please let me know if it was left off? (just curious if they charged you double?) just curious how you were able to even check out without a shipping charge??

Wow! When they sent you the FIRST reciept (usually in p.d.f. form in email) You didn't notice there wasn't a shipping charge? You might want to look back to your very first reciept and "make sure" you weren't charged twice for shipping because they have a VERY DETAILED RECIEPT. Every single charge is labeled and clearly broken down INCLUDING SHIPPING CHARGE. just to make absolutely CERTAIN you weren't already charged. when you went over the very first reciept, did you notice shipping wasn't there? Also on the top of the receipt1 it should state if they are shipping express or priority. ( this depends on how close or far you are) if I were you I'd look over that very first reciept and see if shipping was included or forgotten. so far my experience with Meyer has been excellent. I've added a few times to
my order and made several changes. Each time, I'm sent a new reciept with everything CLEARLY broken down. including shipping charges. Do check that first reciept and see if your shipping was left off. I really can't see how it could be left off because you HAVE to go through the shipping at checkout??Please let me know if it was left off? (just curious if they charged you double?) just curious how you were able to even check out without a shipping charge??

Well here's the confusing part - I'd entered a promo code for free shipping but it told me it wasn't valid anymore. It did have me go through the process of entering all of our shipping information but looking at the email I received when we placed our order, they in fact did NOT charge us for any shipping at the time (which is weird and leaves me to believe there was some glitch with their system because why place an order to be SHIPPED and have me provide all shipping info and then NOT include shipping yet tell me that our order was complete and said total was all that was due?)

Apparently they said they noticed after the fact that for some unknown reason, shipping was NOT included and they needed to add it in afterwards. I'd have assumed maybe the promotion code did work - but of course it said it was invalid?

But STILL, it would have been nice to get an actual call, explaining what happened and asking to charge for shipping, vs going ahead and charging my acct. luckily it worked out ok but what if it had been an act where I don't keep additional funds, etc and it was insufficient? Since technology can obviously "glitch" as shown here- I just mentioned to the customer service agent that they may want to rely on calling people in the future with issues like this vs just charging an acct again without consent.

It's definitely understandable that you would be upset! I can't say I blame you, especially since that happens (unfortunately) to be your initial incident with Meyer. I probably would have gotten a bad taste in my mouth had this happened to me right off the bat. :)

On a much brighter note, I'm positive you'll be extremely pleased with the quality and beauty of your new chicks!
-Alex

Yes, we're still very excited and looking forward to receiving our chicks! We're preparing for them now
1f60a.png

I've never ordered from Meyer, so I have no experience with them, but I would have been really upset with that scenario too! Especially if it had overdraft your account! I'm glad that did not happen. I hope you have smooth sailing from here on out!

Enjoy your chicks!

On one hand I'm impressed...on the other hand...

So I let Meyer know I wasn't thrilled with what happened in my rating on their Facebook page - they responded the next day that that shouldn't have happened and they apologized and offered to refund the extra charge in full.
I'm really pleased with how they handled that...

But now my concern is the chicks! They hatched on Monday...I was hoping they'd be here no later than today and my PO is on standby, watching for them...the deliveries come in at 645 in the morning to our PO...thru still aren't here today...which means it will be tomorrow! (Thurs)
I hope they're going to be ok - I cannot tell via the tracking if they left the hatchery late Monday or sometime Tues...but if it was Mon, that's a ridiculously long time for live babies to be going through the mail!!
One of the reps at Meyer told me they have a 48hr live guarantee once they reach me...so we'll see...feeling worried...

Back
Top Bottom