Anyone ever get RIRs from Privett Hatchery? PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by stephanie1992, Feb 27, 2012.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the description they have for them

Description
    Dark Rhode Island Reds are an old time, well-know American breed, which was developed in the state of Rhode Island. A distinct characteristic of this breed is their horizontal, oblong body, which is deep, broad and long, sometimes described as "brick shaped". They are an excellent dual-purpose bird that efficiently produces large brown eggs. From the time they are chicks until maturity they may have white on the wing tips but when they are fully matured they should not have any white feathers.

My question is....

Are they actully RIRs??

Or are they production reds??

And anyone have pics of them??

im thinking about getting some and want to know what they look like

Heres one with its feathers coming in. The other kept moving so i couldnt get a pic. the ones behind it are from another hatchery. Im comparing chicks from differnt places. the bottom chick is from TSC

Privett Chick
    [​IMG]

TSC Chick ( Lighter feathers coming in)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. stephanie1992

The feed store told me today they are pure RIRS. Suppose to be able to show them, but in the pics they look so dark, tail feathers and body feathers are almost Black. lol

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    True RIR's ARE very dark - almost black - as you noted. Many of the birds hatcheries call RIR, are actually production reds. However I don't know anything about Privett's stock specifically, sorry.

4. stephanie1992

ya i know most RIRs from hatcherys are actully production reds. lol Ive never gotton birds from privett and im intrested to see there stock. lol The feed store said they are not production reds, or new hampshires. They are very dark when they grow up. im kinda excited to get them and see if they are good quality.

heres a pic from there sight
    [​IMG]

5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    check www.welphatchery.com

they have Dark, white nad regular RI

the price per chick includes shipping

6. stephanie1992

Thank u!! :D

7. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    I have never seen a true rir that fits the standard come form a hatchery. If anyone has a picture of a hatchery rir that is true to the breed there would be alot of people interested in seeing it.

8. stephanie1992

ya neither have i.. thats y im intrested in getting 2 of these from the feed store when they arrive friday and seeing how they turn out

9. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    Let us know how they turn out?

10. stephanie1992

yup i will let u guys know how they turn out. Ill let u know if they turn out like RIRs should or turn out like a production red. i get them tomorrow :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by