Anyone ever had a laprascopic abdominal surgery?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Iowa Roo Mom, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I had a laprascopic cholesystectomy (gallbladder removal) one week ago today. We already knew my pre-op lab values were down a little (hemoglobin was 10.9) and I hadn't eaten well for at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery (if I did eat, I threw it up) so I kind of have an explanation for the fatigue, but I want to know, when is this pain going to subside? It's not the same pain I had pre-op (obviously) but I'm still sore, and I know a lot of people are pain-free by now. I will say that on Friday I fell (missed the last step on the staicase) and Saturday DB's 50 pound basset hound hurtled himself onto my abdomen, so I'm sure that's part of the problem, but still...

Anyone else been through a similar procedure? What were your experiences?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've had it and was sore for about a week. However I was not completely 100% until after a month or month and half. Any animals or lifting are a no no.

Other than that, it was a positive experience! I would go thru this again than my C section which it was horrible.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I had laparoscopic appendectomy and congenital umbilical hernia repair about 15 years ago. Turned out to be a tumor in the appendix. Compared to the pain before surgery, the soreness was afterwards was nothing. Had the surgery Friday morning, was supposed to go home Friday night, but wouldn't wake up from the anesthesia till Saturday morning. Went home Saturday morning, went back to work Monday. I was hunched over, sore and moving slowly. Felt much less sore by Wednesday.
    After falling and being hit by the dog, I think I'd have the surgeon check that nothing was torn.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Imp

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My son has his appendix removed that way when he was 9 and they kept him in the hospital for 4 days afterwards!!!!! He was stll sore for at least two weeks after that.

5. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had a laprascopic gall bladder removal and also before they did that, they did a procedure called an ERCP that they go in thru your mouth and doun to the bile ducts to fillet them open to remove the sludge and crap. To make a long story short, I had 3 bile ducts and they missed the third one, so when they took out the gall bladder they also removed my liver and put a tear in it! Mine was an extremely rare defect that only 3% of the populations have. But the pain you are having is from the air they pump you up with to lift the organs off each other so they can see everything they are doing in there. You need to move around so you can eliminate all that gas (either end)...it will hurt a little at first but as it goes, it gets easier. But no lifting or excersize. Just take little walks several times a day and eat soups and light foods. You will be feeling much better in no time!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    DH had it done last Feb., it was 2-3 weeks before he could really do any work and he even took it easy for another week. Went back to work on light duty for a couple weeks.

Don't push it, just take it a day at a time. And get DB to train that big butt Bassett! [​IMG] and [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Take it easy! [​IMG]

8. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    When I had my lap chole I did not have a lot of pain. Went back to work in 10 days. My partner recently had same surgery and was pretty sore for three weeks. I only took pain meds for 2 days my partner needed 3 weeks worth. Everyone is different.

9. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I was completely sludged out. Was actually yellow the morning they did the surgery. They would have sent me home same day except I had a stone in a duct that the surgeon had to massage out. He wasn't sure he got it all so kept me in for observation. I was ok for work by the next week. Stayed home because my belt was hurting the area with the stitches and I needed to wear sweats. It was great being able to eat again. For about 1 month prior i was in a lot of pain if I ate anything that wasn't totally bland.

DD on the other had hers removed and was in pain for about 3 weeks. They kept telling her she would get better and she didn't. They chalked it off to her being a woos. She is a woos. However they decided to go ahead and go down through her throat and found another stone lodged in a duct. Pulled it out while they were in and she was better the next day.

You might want to ask your doc if there might be more in there that wasn't in the gall bladder.

10. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I agree-it could be a stone that is stuck in the duct. I had my gallbladder removed almost 4 years ago when I was 4-months pregnant with Sophie. I was sick for 6 weeks and couldn't eat, so they decided to do surgery. I was kept overnight after surgery because I was pregnant, but was told I could start eating low-fat foods. I did and got sick again. It only got worse from there! A month later I was down to eating saltines and an apple-and even that made me sick! I had 4 ultrasounds, an MRI, the scope (done while I was awake because the meds are known to cause birth defects [​IMG] ) and nothing was ever found. Had I not been pregnant they would have done the balloon and been able to pull out any stone that was lodged, but they use radiation for that. As for soreness-I didn't notice it for more than a day or two-but that might be because, compared to the other, that pain was nothing! Get better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by