Anyone ever had a racist roo?

cutlass1972

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
No, I am not joking.

I have a pretty diversified flock (naked necks, buff orps, black alstralorps, welsumers, light brahmas, etc). I recently bought some more pullets from a reliable source and have begun ingratiating them into my existing flock. In this group of pullets I received a VERY well manored 1 year old buff Roo. The buff took to most of my hens like he owned the place and they appear to love him too, with the exception of the one light Brahma I had in the old flock. He keeps all of the young pullets away from the food and treats, lets most of the old flock come and get them with the exception of the one light Brahma hen.
I have given it a few weeks now and he is starting to let the new girls come around a bit more, with the exception of the 4 light Brahmas I got in the new batch of pullets, he runs them off with passion. The jersy giants, barred rocks, buff orps he doesn't mind, but he HATES those light brahmas..

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Last edited:
maybe this belongs in the chicken behavior forum, if so could a moderator move it please?

We have a Buff Cochin who is a segregationist.
lol.png

I will state, my experience is limited,
roll.png
lol, My flock is made up of 9 silver lace wynadottes, 9 EE's, and 4 black Australorps and one black australorp rooster.. he so far has only been seen serviceing the silver lace and EE hens... and of those two types, he services the EE's more...
hmm.png

Tara

When we added a young Arcuana roo to our flock, he actually attacked and killed our sole leghorn hen. We couldn't figure out why he was attacking her-- and she kept going back to him! He now seems partial to the orps, although the Splash orp treats him like a son, not a boyfriend.

The only thing happening remotely related to this subject is all the roos are particularly fond of one hen.
love.gif
121fs725372.gif
I have lots of hens but they all are fond of her.
droolin.gif
She much be an easy lay.
lau.gif
Maybe it's the way she walks with her fluffy butt
gig.gif
but they all prefer her. She's in the coop with 1 roo and by her appearance one can tell she is mounted more than the others. She's starting to show wear on her wings. Gonna have to put a saddle on her.
2gwb921.gif

Back
Top Bottom