Anyone ever had a racist roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cutlass1972, Jul 29, 2010.

1. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    No, I am not joking.

I have a pretty diversified flock (naked necks, buff orps, black alstralorps, welsumers, light brahmas, etc). I recently bought some more pullets from a reliable source and have begun ingratiating them into my existing flock. In this group of pullets I received a VERY well manored 1 year old buff Roo. The buff took to most of my hens like he owned the place and they appear to love him too, with the exception of the one light Brahma I had in the old flock. He keeps all of the young pullets away from the food and treats, lets most of the old flock come and get them with the exception of the one light Brahma hen.
    I have given it a few weeks now and he is starting to let the new girls come around a bit more, with the exception of the 4 light Brahmas I got in the new batch of pullets, he runs them off with passion. The jersy giants, barred rocks, buff orps he doesn't mind, but he HATES those light brahmas..

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    maybe this belongs in the chicken behavior forum, if so could a moderator move it please?

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I had a Bantam RIR Roo that would only mount my Buff Bantam Cochin hens, NEVER The Black one. I thought that was really odd.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    We have a Buff Cochin who is a segregationist. [​IMG]

5. BlackWatchLady

BlackWatchLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I will state, my experience is limited, [​IMG] lol, My flock is made up of 9 silver lace wynadottes, 9 EE's, and 4 black Australorps and one black australorp rooster.. he so far has only been seen serviceing the silver lace and EE hens... and of those two types, he services the EE's more...[​IMG]
    Tara

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    When we added a young Arcuana roo to our flock, he actually attacked and killed our sole leghorn hen. We couldn't figure out why he was attacking her-- and she kept going back to him! He now seems partial to the orps, although the Splash orp treats him like a son, not a boyfriend.

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    The only thing happening remotely related to this subject is all the roos are particularly fond of one hen. [​IMG] [​IMG] I have lots of hens but they all are fond of her. [​IMG] She much be an easy lay. [​IMG] Maybe it's the way she walks with her fluffy butt [​IMG] but they all prefer her. She's in the coop with 1 roo and by her appearance one can tell she is mounted more than the others. She's starting to show wear on her wings. Gonna have to put a saddle on her. [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a racist brown corturnix quail that will not mount the only white female quail.

9. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    I think my roo is racist too. He doesn't want anything to do with my black silkie.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Roosters have favorites. Chickens also tend to hang out with others of their breed and/or color. It's pretty normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by