Anyone ever had adult chickens Express Mailed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by junebug7334, Nov 7, 2008.

1. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I am getting some adult (almost) birds from Texas.... and was wondering if anyone else has had birds Express Mailed and if so
    what should I expect?

Thanks.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had adult call ducks shipped several years ago. My PO called me early in the morning just like they do for chicks to let me know they were here.

3. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    thanks Katy. So they were okay?[​IMG]

4. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:Yes, I had four silkies shipped from MI to NC in April and all was well. I Called the mail office and told them I was expecting them and if they could please call. They transferred my call to the guy that handled the live animal stuff and he took my # and sure enough called me as soon as he saw them. The person who sent the birds put my Number on the box as well. I brought in 2 dozen fresh donuts as a thank you and the workers were thrilled!!

Good luck and remember to get a tracking # and make sure some fruit, melon,cut grapes or something to keep them hydrated will be packed in the box for them. I had two large boxes and it worked out great!!
    Beth
    NC

5. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:Yes, I had four silkies shipped from MI to NC in April and all was well. I Called the mail office and told them I was expecting them and if they could please call. They transferred my call to the guy that handled the live animal stuff and he took my # and sure enough called me as soon as he saw them. The person who sent the birds put my Number on the box as well. I brought in 2 dozen fresh donuts as a thank you and the workers were thrilled!!

Good luck and remember to get a tracking # and make sure some fruit, melon,cut grapes or something to keep them hydrated will be packed in the box for them. I had two large boxes and it worked out great!!
    Beth
    NC

Oh I forgot, when I got them there was an egg in there too! So I guess they did not get all that stressed out! They have been laying every since!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've gotten adult birds by mail. I just made sure my post office was aware that I would be receiving them and when to expect them. They called me when they were to arrive. They were fine.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My mom heard a rooster crowing at the PO the other day! [​IMG] He must have been claiming his new territory....
    The new owner hadn't been by to pick him up yet.

8. I had a Jersey Giant shipped overnight. I needed a pure breed roo for the flock. He is doing just fine. No, he was not full grown, but he was the size of a bantam at least. I would not hesitate to have birds shipped. Just be ABSOLUTE sure that the P.O. knows you are getting a live bird and to hold it in Office until you come and get it.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Yep-from California to New York two different times-no problems.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes they were ok.....even the ones who were lost in the mail for an extra 2 days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by