Anyone ever hatch chicken eggs under a duck!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by neener92, Mar 26, 2012.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Just as it says, has anyone ever hatched chicken eggs under a duck too? I ordered some Lavender Orpington eggs after I found one of my hens sitting on a nest of eggs, and just the other day she decided she didn't want to sit, and the eggs were bought last Thursday and shipped today! I don't have an incubator, so I guess I'm gonna try the broody duck.... I've hatch chicks under a duck before, but those were eggs I wasn't too worried about hatching, but these are not only expensive, but I really want them to hatch! Of course, I won't be letting the duck raise them, but what do you all think of this plan?

2. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    Anyone?

3. angusb

angusb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Yes, some people have. It's far more common for people to slip duck eggs under the hen, but some people have slipped hen eggs under a duck. Here are two people I found: http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=2293 and http://communitychickens.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-our-duck-hatched-chickens-sort-of.html The second link says they weren't entirely successful, since the first two chicks that hatched were found dead, and they weren't sure if it was something the duck did, or just an accident. They opted to "finish" the process under a heat lamp.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    Thanks for the links, I'll probably take the eggs as they start pipping and put them under a heat lamp, I don't trust ducks sitting on eggs in the process of hatching! This broody duck is a mule (I think that's what you'd call her). She made a nest and laid a bunch of small no good eggs, so I put goose eggs under her instead, looks like I'll be candling goose eggs to see if they are any good.....kinda hoping some aren't! Wish me luck! :)

5. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I had a broody duck take some chicken eggs and sit on them. She hatched several out and then stepped on them with her big feet and killed them. It seems the chicks don't get out of the way of those feet the way the baby ducks do. [​IMG]

6. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I'll be taking the eggs away as they pip, I don't trust her big feet! I got the eggs yesterday morning, box in great shape, not broken eggs, candled and a few air cells were moving around just a little at the top. I let them rest from about 10am to 10pm. Set them under the broody duck, I'll check in 7 days, hopefully we get babies developing! I'm soooo excited about these chicks!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by