Anyone ever hatch peafowl??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnniesEggFarm, Apr 17, 2009.

1. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    OK so I think my yard needs something really beautiful in it besides me ha ha ha ha ha [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].... Ok know that I am done laughing, any out there ever hatch one of this beauties??? What is involved?

Jenn... Not really a super model... [​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Annie, I never hatched any, but a neighbor of mine (about a mile away) had some and they were supremely noisey. I`ve had guineas (also noisey), but peafowl win by a long shot. I supose, if I was gonna hatch some, I would try to find someone local to sell me some eggs as shipped eggs are iffy at best. Then I would put them under a broody hen, or turkey and let them do the rest of the work. I wish you lots of success and I hope you don`t hate the noise. They are beautifull......Pop

3. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... I have a gazillion guineas... also 4 dogs and a 2 year old human.... noise not a problem.... [​IMG] I also live in the middle of nowhere.... [​IMG]

Jenn

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I HAVE HUNDREDS OF THEM OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS OR SO. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FACINATED WITH THEIR BEAUTY. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY LUCK HATCHING THEM IN AN INCUBATOR. I USE CHICKENS TO HATCH THEM.

5. RRT114

RRT114 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Pittston, PA
    I would have to agree. They can be VERY tricky to hatch in an incubator. I had them for 10 year up until 2 years ago...took me a long time to get the hand of it....using a broody hen is much easier, and much more successful

6. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    Well I found out that one of my friends sister's has Peafowl!!!! She is going to bring me some babies in July (my birthday) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !!! I am so excited and I don't have to incubate $10.00 an egg, eggs [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jenn...

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have had Peafowl for about 20 years. I love them. They can hatch their own babies.

I do not find them to be too noisy. They normally, at least this is true of mine, only screech if someone drives up the drive EXCEPT in March and April, which is their breeding season. Then they are advertising.

They are so good about only screeching when someone comes that my dogs have gotten lazy and key into them and started barking when the birds screech, because they assume someone is coming.

I do live fairly far from neighbors or perhaps I would have irritated neighbors. I don't know.

I really like them a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by