anyone ever have a broody hen thats sitting on eggs

dechicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
i tried candling i see nothing this is her 1st time and mine i have seen roo mate her how can i tell if they r fertile? shes on day 8 if there not fertile will she stop setting? i dont know if i should take eggs out or leave them please help!!!

HEChicken

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 12, 2009
BuCo, KS
My Coop
My Coop
She won't know if they are fertile or not so she will keep sitting on them. Are you familiar with candling? (I.e., do you feel confident you would know what you are seeing?) If you don't think they are fertile, do you have the ability to obtain some fertile eggs for her? A lot of hens will continue to sit until something hatches, even if they are losing condition from being so dedicated to their nest.

dechicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
She won't know if they are fertile or not so she will keep sitting on them. Are you familiar with candling? (I.e., do you feel confident you would know what you are seeing?) If you don't think they are fertile, do you have the ability to obtain some fertile eggs for her? A lot of hens will continue to sit until something hatches, even if they are losing condition from being so dedicated to their nest.
i tried candleing no i really dont know what im looking for or at....ill ask neighbor for eggs

jtotherow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Fort Mill SC
There is a posting on candling in this website. the fastest way I get answers is to ask google and it takes me to the exact page of backyardchickens.com .

Top Bottom