Anyone ever have pink eye?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Randy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Wednesday I noticed my left eye felt irritated, like I had something in it and scratched maybe. Didn't really hurt just felt scratchy. Thursday it got worse and by Thursday night it was hurting pretty bad. Friday morning I went to the Dr. and he glanced at it and said pink eye. Got a Rx for some drops and he said it should be better in a few days.

Well Friday night was an absolute bear. Hurt so bad I couldn't sleep at all. I slept okay last night but that probably was because I had been awake for 36 hours.[​IMG] This morning I thought it was doing a lot better but by this afternoon it had started hurting again.

What I'm wondering is, is it supposed to hurt this dang bad? I can't remember ever having it before but I always thought it was something more irritating than seriously painful.

This eye has had some problems in the past and I've had three operations on it so I'm wondering if there might be something else going on. It's been a decade or more since I've been to the eye doctor though. Almost went to the eye doctor first but figured I'd save some money by just going to family doc and I really thought it was just pink eye myself at the time but now starting to have some doubts.

2. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I've never had pink eye but my 4 year old had it last year. It bothered her but not very bad, she just said it felt itchy....but it looked awful!! I'm concerned since you've had 3 operations on that eye. If you don't mind me asking what were those operations for? I would give the drops a couple more days and if it doesn't start to improve go to the eye doctor. I hope it gets better, and hopefully it is just pink eye!!

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have chronic issues with pink eye. It can be quite painful sometimes, however the way you describe it makes me think you have had a scratch to the eye from debris or something small is still there. Is your eyelid swollen and puffy? Is the eye weeping along or junky (yellow/green mucus?) the muscus/junk is signs of infection/viral pink eye the swollen eyelid could point to either pink eye or debris. Honestly since it hasn't gotten better I highly suggest going to the eye doctor and having them take a look at it and make sure there is nothing in there. My opinion when it comes to the eye - it is better to be safe than sorry. Scratches/abrasions to the eye are no fun, extremely painful and nothing to joke about. Go have it looked at!

ETA: You've had this since Thursday - and it is no better if not worse - it definately doesn't sound like regular pink eye either the drops he gave you aren't doing their job or its a injury to the eye or eyelid for sure. Make an appointment ASAP. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I remember a girl who routinely battled pinkeye, so she had it cultured, it was "psittacosis". Turns out, its also called Parrots Disease, its very common to catch it from birds! Its treatable with antibiotic drops.

Then she broke up with the boyfriend with the too many parakeets in his apartment.

5. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    First two operations were within a few days of each other. Injury followed by detatched retina repair a few days later after being in the hospital on iv antibiotics. Then about a month and half later retina detatched again. Final outcome was not good but I still have my eye. Another reason I decided to just go to the family doc. Spent enough time at the opthamologist to last me a lifetime.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Pink eye is kind of achy, but it shouldn't really hurt. Once you start taking the drops it should clear up within a day or so. If I remember correctly, mine quit itchy and aching once I started the drops. Since you have had problems in the past, I think I'd go see the eye doctor. It's not worth taking a chance with your eyes.

Hope it gets better soon!

7. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I got pink eye on a 5 day long road trip once. [​IMG] I was MISERABLE!! But when we got to my aunts house, she put colloidial silver in it. Stung like... well, I'll say heck, but I was almost completly cured by morning!! [​IMG] I will now swear by that stuff for pink eye. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Got it from my dd when she was in preschool.I remember wiping the eye with a washcloth soaked in a goldenseal tea.Once clean also put in drops from the tea.Also used eyebright tea.

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i have never had pink eye. however i had this horrible infection in my eye that lasted about a month, in the month of december!!!!
    story: i was putting up a live christmas tree (i was so excited) smelled so pretty etc. well with all my excitement i didnt put it in the tree holder that good. and one day while walking by the tree it, started to lean and i caught it before falling completly over.
    i was happy to have saved the tree except for one thing, while the tree was falling over, it scratched my eye.
    i did not know that it was bad, till days later. when i couldnt see properly and it started to hurt.
    i dont wear glasses, so i made an appoitment with an eye doctor to take a look.
    sure enough i had a infection. it was real bad. i had to wear black sunglasses in the middle of december!!!! there was white thick snow everywhere!! i had to drive back and forth to work, and try and function!! it was so bad!!!
    after medication for the eye and treatment, i did recoever.
    last christmas i put up a fake tree. ( i hated that) but i am so scared of a real tree now!!!
    i want to give it another try this year, but have someone else put the tree in the stand etc.

just wanted to share my horror eye story!! [​IMG]

andrea-

10. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I have had it. It stinks. The only thing that helped was calling the doctor for eyedrops that made it bearible untill it was gone. Good luck, hope you feel better soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by