Anyone ever hear of BLUE YOLKS? Urban legend, or real occurrence?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmichlig, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bmichlig

bmichlig New Egg

Jul 13, 2007
    Bigfork, Mt
    OK - this is a lame-o question, I am sure. I had a customer in the shop last week who insisted that a neighbor of hers had at one time hens that laid eggs with blue yolks. Not shells, but yolks.

I've googled around and am not finding anything helpful or solid...so I thought I'd check in with the experts.

An update - our flock of four turned to 12 with the addition of 7 Araucana adoptees plus one white one that has rabbit fur rather than feathers...and strangley deformed flat, twisted toes. Poor thing can't roost, she just sorta plods around. The new birds are about 9 months old. Between her and the white Auracana with the twisted beak, we seem to be running a special needs chicken home.

Anyway, the 2 flocks have fully integrated, they eat and roost and nest side by side, and all is going swimmingly.

But gosh - this Blue Yolk thing has driven us to distraction. Any help is much appreciated!

-b.

2. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG]

Sorry but that white one is not deformed it is just a silkie they don't really roost and have blue skin and five toes . but are great mothers so watch her,as for blue yokes i say myth.

can you post some pictures of your flock or maybe of her toes silkies have been known to have feet problems ?

[​IMG]
    white silkie

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Rabbit Fur, flat twisted toes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OMG that has to be the BEST description I have EVER heard of a silkie!!!

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    It would be hard to even fake a blue yolk. Blue is the opposite of yellow so it would be about as difficult as making green catchup. You can turn a yellow yolk green by over-boiling it though....

5. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:they make green ketchup [​IMG]

6. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I have seen green ketchup. Don't feel bad though, I am a complete city girl that wants to go country. Well in kindergarten (like 21 yrs ago) my teacher served us green eggs and ham, well my whole life I thought that there were chickens that laid green eggs (not just the shell). I just remember them tasting sooo good. I think they must have been Americana eggs and my memory just played tricks on me. Oh well, what can I say I am a natural blond, that's what my DH would blame it on!

7. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:[​IMG] on the city chickens ( see Mom we are not the only ones [​IMG] )
    hopefully we will be getting a house more country with some land for my chickens.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  8. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I would love to move out of town but with my house and land paid off the DH says a big NO! I want a pig and more chickens and a big country house! Someday I am sure but right now I don't need a house payment that I can't afford. My DH is big on not owing anybody $, it was bad enough I bought a dishwasher on a 90 same as cash, but I was tired of doing the dishes for all 9 of us. I lasted 2 month after mine went out. We have no credit cards, he won't even let me have a debit card! But it is nice to be 25 and own my home, well okay my DH owned it when we got married and he is 7 years older them me but before I married him I was looking into buying my first home and that can be scary. Okay well this is complete off bmichlig topic so I will go now.

9. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
  10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Myths usually start with some type of truth. I would lean towards something like over boiling or cooking accidents leading to a colored layer on the outside. Some people (like me) tend to mostly eat eggs hard boiled and rarely bake so rarely see a raw egg. I steam mine though. It works so much better, fresh eggs pop right out of the shell, and you can't over steam. Every hard boiled egg enthusiast should learn to steam them instead. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by