Anyone ever heard of DRY vinegar?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Nov 25, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We were in the feed store yesterday and I noticed they had a powder that the label said would take the place of vinegar in the chickens water.
    DH was rushing me, so I didn't take the time to write down the name.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? And what would be its purpose?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I haven't heard of dry acetic acid though it may well exist. I suspect what you saw was actually citric acid powder which is fairly common in food and food industry usage.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A.T. Hagan :

I haven't heard of dry acetic acid though it may well exist. I suspect what you saw was actually citric acid powder which is fairly common in food and food industry usage.

And what purpose does it serve by adding it to their water, if I may ask? Currently I don't add anything to my two flock's water. They free range and are very healthy.​

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've never used it myself but I'm given to understand it's used to control bio-film or slime in watering systems. Perhaps for mineral buildups as well. We have posters here in the industry who could probably elaborate further.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks [​IMG]

6. macybean

macybean Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water. I read this tip when reading about chicken diseases. I was told it helps to keep chickens healthy, preventing parasites and sour crop. Since I don't want to ever have to medicate my chickens, it seemed like an easy thing to do to keep them healthy. They free range some days, and others they are indoors (they don't seem to want to come out in the snow!) and have been perfectly healthy for the 18 months I've had them. Now if I could just keep the water from freezing I'd be set!

7. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Yes, it does. It costs between $1-$2 per pound bought usually in 50# bags. It is corrosive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by