Anyone ever heard of this strain?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by michickenwrangler, Jul 21, 2008.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    While doing some family history research, I came across a 1947 phone book of Arenac county Michigan. A small town called Sterling is renowned for Iva's Chicken Shack--an excellent chicken restaurant still in business. The family who owned the restaurant also owned a hatchery to provide them with broilers and roasters for their establishment. The hatchery had to shut down in the 1960s due to health department regulations (stipulation that a restaurant could not butcher their own meat) but the restaurant continued to thrive. The hatchery was converted into a house.

Anyhoo, the old phone book had an advertisement for the Sterling hatchery that bragged about "Alaskan Strain" chickens. Underneath that, it said that they sold WHite & Barred Rocks, Leghorns and New Hampshires.

Does anyone know what exactly an Alaskan Strain is? Our old family farm a few towns over had some sort of dark colored chicken. I don't need the info for family research (they bred their own clucks on the farm), but I was just curious about it.

Thanks,

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Never heard of it myself, but many hatcheries have their own strains of production birds.

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I was just wondering why a hatchery in Michigan would have a strain called "Alaskan." Maybe they were cold hardy, again, I was just curious about the strain

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    It could be the times in the 40's people thought of Alaska as this harsh place that only the strong survived.So saying you have Alaskan Strain chickens means they are strong and hardy.People where still getting over the depression also,they wanted birds that would survive anything.

5. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Ironically, Arenac County did pretty well for itself during the Depression. It was an agrarian economy and with the Great Lakes, didn't experience the extreme weather of the Plains. The hatchery and Iva's Chicken Shack was/is located, both went INTO business during the 1930s. I used to rent a house within sight of the hatchery that was built in the 1930s because the town was booming. My great-aunt said that it wasn't really much of a depression because they had everything they needed on the farm.

I know I'm getting off topic, but I just think it's great that such a tragedy didn't affect people who were self-reliant.

6. SoleProvider

SoleProvider Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Cool Michigan information. Hmm I wonder what the Alaskan strain was... Somebody has to know-or remember. Although that was a few years ago.[​IMG]

7. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Since we have some more Michigan members now, I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone had more info.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Maybe they were just huge, like the misquitos up there..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by