Anyone ever kept fighter hens with normal backyard chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheTwoRoos, Aug 30, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    A coworker of my stedad has to get rid of his chickens and has sone fighter type hens.Was gonna give them a try but the saw many things on aggressivness and saw a hen take out a whole flock including a rooster.

Is this a good idea?Anyone else done this?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No I don't think it is a good idea. I think your flock is going to be highly stressed, there will be a loss of egg production. Always the chance of disease or parasites being brought in. And a strong possibility there will be some death loss, or victims.

Like birds really do best together, and different birds seldom make a cohesive flock,

I don't think this is a good idea.

Mrs K

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you need more information on the birds. What are "fighter type" ? Are they simply game birds? Have they been bred for aggression? Lots of folks keep game birds in a mixed flock and do just fine......it would depend on how the birds were bred and raised.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Take time to ask someone that actually knows something about fighter type chickens. Anyone else is a waste of time in providing information that is more often than not, more than a little incorrect. Pay particular attention to those that also actually keep them co-mingled with non-fighter type chickens.

1 person likes this.
  5. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    excellent post Centra. Straight to the point

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am feeling a little sour.

7. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    To the op game chickens get a bad rap imo usually from either bad or unknowing to how to properly keep games and when something happens its almost always blown way out of proportion. I have a hard time believing one hen took out a whole flock. I never mingled them so I can't say what will happen nor would I guess. Like Centra said get first hand experience u just may take a liking to them.

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to dismiss what you said entirely, but if someone claims to know something or makes any broad generalization about 'fighter type chickens' without knowing exactly what breed and lineage your birds came from and/or how they were raised and sorts as well as an in person evaluation, I will dismiss them as fast as the dolts that claim this or that 'fighter type dog' can't make a good or even excellent family pet...

The blunt reality is the term 'fighter type' has no qualitative value or base to base an assessment upon...

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Fish out strain of games from OP, type production bird, and setting to be combined. Then let your ego play the field.

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Who's ego? Do you disagree with anything I said? And if so please don't let your ego get in the way of correcting me on what you disagree with...

FYI I have had and do have 'fighter type' chickens in a mixed flock so I guess that qualifies me as someone that should be advising according to you right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by