1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever milk a sheep?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Beekissed, May 21, 2008.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Just curious, but I have read about folks doing it and saying the milk is very rich and can be used to make butter and such. Any special technique or is it like milking a goat?

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I personally have not milked sheep, but it is a growing industry here. I visited a micro-dairy last fall, it was set up just like a small version of a regular dairy farm. This farm machine milked their sheep. From what I was told, sheep milk freezes well and that was how this farm processed it to send it on to the creamery. Most of their end product was cheese and yogurt.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There is a sheep dairy a few miles from me. They make incredible cheses from the milk. I have never milked one but their teats are odd placed compared to what milking animals I am used to.

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Here is a rather long article on the dairy that I visited in Maine. Probably more on the commerical line than you are looking for, but does have information on the quality of the milk.

http://www.mofga.org/Default.aspx?tabid=704

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:That is what I was sort of wondering, I have milked goats and cows but was wondering about the motion required for sheep teats....also how delicate these may be. I wouldn't want to cause mastitis by being too rough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by