Anyone ever milked a Boer goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babyboy1_mom, Jan 11, 2009.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I know that Boer goats are not dairy goats, but I was just wondering. I have been doing research and am looking forward to getting some goats in the near future. I have read that some have, but was wondering if any of you have any experience in doing this.

I know that the udder and teats are larger on the Boer goats and was wondering if it would be better for a beginner to start with the larger teats. (Hope that made sense...lol)

I am wondering about the taste and amount of milk that would come from a Boer goat.

There is a lady that lives close by and she has a Boer/Spanish mix that she is wanting to sell. She says that she would think that the Boer/Spanish would be a better milker than a Nigerian Dwarf. She has not milked a goat before, so I am asking someone that has milked before, you all..........lol

Thanks,
    Dorothy

2. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    sure
    I have been breeding boers for over 10 years. I milk them all the time. I share the milk with the kids. I use it in my goat milk soap.

their udder is more compact and not huge, so I have to be careful what I take cause I do leave the kids on the momma. I milk them to get the colostrum flowing for the kids etc. when just born.

When does kid I always pull to make sure the milk is flowing and not clogged.

They are not dairy goats and you can't get the same amt. of milk at all....but sure is good that I tasted.

But if you truly want milkers, then go for that breed and get what you want. Those dairy breeds sure give a great supply!

hope some of that helps.

3. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    FarmerChick - Thanks, that is what I was asking about. The amount and the taste.

If anyone else has a comment, then please post it. I have seen pics. of the doe that she has for sale and she is very pretty and she is bred to a Nigerian Dwarf, but I am really concerned about the milk production and taste. She does have to be pretty too though. I don't want to have to look at an ugly goat every day.....LOL

4. FarmerChick

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    she is bred to a dwarf---then remember too that if you keep the kid cause it is a doe...your next herd member will be ALOT smaller...LOL

yea pretty goats are hard to resist! I know...LOL

but if you want alot of milk, get a dairy breed. you can't go wrong on that one.

5. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yes, I know that her kid/s would be smaller. She is actually not a large goat to start with. She is standing next to some of the full Boers and she is quite a bit smaller than them. (Only seen pics. at this time. I will be going to see her in person soon though.)

I want milk, but we are a family of 3, so not too much milk...lol I don't even know if we would like the taste of goats milk. None of us have ever tasted it before. I have heard that there is no difference from cows milk and I have heard that there is a BIG difference from cows milk.....lol

6. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I want goats to eventually.

7. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Hopefully you will have an easier time finding them in your area, than I have in my area. I have been doing research and looking for a few weeks now and there aren't that many in my area.

8. FarmerChick

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    oh I can taste the diff. between cows and goats milk.
    but then again, some love it and some hate it.....others swear there is no taste difference.

It all comes down to your personal taste buds...LOL-LOL

I know if you got see her you will fall in love! [​IMG] They are so hard NOT to bring home when you see them!

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    FarmerChick - I am afraid that I will go spend that kind of money on a goat and NOT like the taste of goats milk...lol I guess that I could always have it as a pet and then sell the babies from it. I just really want fresh milk and a cow is too much for me to handle....lol

PotterWatch - I haven't checked that link yet, but am going to now. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by