Anyone ever put chickens in greenhouse for winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rainy day ducks, Oct 28, 2011.

1. rainy day ducks

rainy day ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Southeast Alaska
    I have been toying with the idea of getting some broilers and housing them in my greenhouse in the winter. I do have heat in the greenhouse if needed. Our temps can get into the tens but rarely colder. There is decent ventilation in the greenhouse. I have low to the ground raised beds. Anyone ever done this? Is there anything I need to know, do, or not do?

2. farmer9989

farmer9989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    I don't think the green house needs all that nitrogen , ammonia might be a problem
    the chickens don't need it that humid.
    I have thought of doing it my self with a portable ,sorta like a tractor.
    maybe someone more high tech will speak up with draw back or positive view.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Joel Salatin does it every winter...chickens and rabbits in his greenhouses and sometimes even pigs in with them also.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've seen it done. Some folks in this area with a Joel Salatin-style (permaculture-ish) back yard let the chickens forage & roam in the greenhouse all year, and shut them in when it gets cold. The nitrogen is great for the plants. Just be careful not to give them access to beds with young plants or seeds, because they'll dig them up and eat them!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I read that article posted in a thread about how cold chickens could stand and open ended chicken house in the Midwest about 1903 taking the ends off and making an open hen house. They where experimenting how cold chickens could take it before the egg production was reduced and it was not reduced at all but in fact increased.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by