Anyone ever see a barred rock or dominique crossed with a Jersey Giant?

Clov3r

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
Palo Pinto County, Texas
I took in this barred guy for a friend. She was told by the feed store where she got him that he was a "Jersey Giant". Obviously, he's not. (The same feed store told her that the white and cream roo behind him was a Leghorn, and proceeded to sell her 5 "pullets", 3 of which ended up being roosters.). Mistakes happen, but her first chicken buying experience wasn't a great one.

Anyone want to make assumptions about what he might be? I had thought he might be a Jersey Giant cross... maybe with a BR or Dominique hen. Since they sold him as one. No idea, as I've never seen one.

Sexlinks.

The red/white is likely what they call a Red Comet (other hatcheries call them other things) most likely, because the cockerels will come out with tints of red as chicks and the females remain white. The common cross on this is a white Plymouth Rock to a Rhode Island. Other links include using a Leghorn, but the rooster would likely get the large white earlobes of a Leghorn. Either way, he's part of a cross. So he may be "part" Leghorn (but I lean towards Plymouth Rock) but is a cross/mix-breed.

The barred rock is also a non-standard barred, another sexlink cross where the males have tints of black as babies and the girls remain white. He looks like a classic Plymouth Barred Rock but also is out of a hatchery cross.

It sound like the feed store did a bad job of keeping their "pullet" bin separate from their "straight run" pen. I would hope so, at least, because I would hate to think that they just lied to the customer to sell a few birds.

While neither are purebred, they both look lovely and your friend did a good job of raising them.

Sexlinks.

The red/white is likely what they call a Red Comet (other hatcheries call them other things) most likely, because the cockerels will come out with tints of red as chicks and the females remain white. The common cross on this is a white Plymouth Rock to a Rhode Island. Other links include using a Leghorn, but the rooster would likely get the large white earlobes of a Leghorn. Either way, he's part of a cross. So he may be "part" Leghorn (but I lean towards Plymouth Rock) but is a cross/mix-breed.

The barred rock is also a non-standard barred, another sexlink cross where the males have tints of black as babies and the girls remain white. He looks like a classic Plymouth Barred Rock but also is out of a hatchery cross.

It sound like the feed store did a bad job of keeping their "pullet" bin separate from their "straight run" pen. I would hope so, at least, because I would hate to think that they just lied to the customer to sell a few birds.

While neither are purebred, they both look lovely and your friend did a good job of raising them.

Oh ok. See, I wouldn't have guessed RI, but I don't have any experience with RI crosses at all. I assumed he had to be some kind of cross with a BR. I didnt know whether the comb would be reliable as to whether he may be a Dom cross. Hey, you learn every day! Growing up, my family didn't keep purebred at all.... just lots of mutts. So I've been learning more over the past few years about the individual breeds, and crosses. :)

Last edited:
Another photo.

Sexlinks.

x2 on that one.
Looks like the feed store is a little messed up in the chick department

Maybe a little. Do you feed stores sell crosses? I thought they were usually relatively purebred hatchery birds. The ones I have gotten have always looked like the breed they said they were.

Maybe a little. Do you feed stores sell crosses? I thought they were usually relatively purebred hatchery birds. The ones I have gotten have always looked like the breed they said they were.

Just depends on where you go. I didn't buy these, I buy from other feed stores in my area. They do sell both Sexlinks and purebred birds at most of them. But, my experiences have been mostly good in getting what I thought I was getting. I did get 2 accidental red links mixed in with my orps, but it was a one off.

Back
Top Bottom