1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone ever sew a chicken back together?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by soliloquie, Nov 30, 2013.

1. soliloquie

soliloquie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Everett, WA
    Just found one of the girls with a huge L shaped gash under her right wing. Skin is completely ripped open. There is no fowl odor or inflammation but she is lethargic. My mom sewed a hen together after a dog got it when I was little and it lived many more years but I cant remember what she did- wondering if anyone has any tips. Am going to proceed with standard first aid- she doesn't seem to have internal injuries nor is she gushing blood just a giant hole. Which antibiotic would you recommend?

2. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Hey, and I am so sorry you are having to deal with this!! Can you take a picture of the gash just so I can tell you how to stitch it up? First rinse it out with a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. When your done with that your going to want to trim her feathers that are close to the wounds, this will help with the stitching. You dont want to use regular thread because this can cause infection and break easy, I know this will sound weird but youre going to want to use dental floss. You will want to stitch with her skin a little pushed up on the top but connecting the sides tightly! On your first time through the skin youll want to tie a knot on top of this skin and then go under and tie it on top when your done. After your done stitching put a gause pad with neosporin on it over the wound. Take vet wrap and wrap it tightly to her body. Do not let her with the other hens, you must keep her isolated and somewhere warm so she doesnt go into shock. Start her on a dose of Duramycin 10 but go ahead and do the 800mg. Hope this helped.

3. soliloquie

soliloquie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Everett, WA
    Thanks! Am warming saline to flush now. Just picked up some neosprin and vet wrap. I'm going to take her to my aunts after to double check everything- she's a vet. Ill try to figure out how to get the picture up too. It's pretty bad- anyone want a beautiful lavender rooster or two?

4. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Haha would love to if only you were in Georgia! Do you know what got her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by