Anyone ever try this? Older hen with day olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Nov 8, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Lilith, 19 month old LF buff brahma, is still very much a loner.

The other flock members pretty much just ignore her, unless she tries to join in on their activities. Her isolation is self-imposed. It kinda breaks my heart, because anytime I go out to the chicken's area she comes running to me chattering away; like she's been dying to have someone to talk to. If the other chickens are around she just stays off to the side and tries her best to be invisible.

When I get my next flock of baby chicks in the spring they will have a seperate coop. I plan to create a temporary run for them until such time as they are big enough to free range with the current flock and/or I can be out to supervise.

I've thought about introducing Lilith to the new chicks the day they arrive, with supervision of course. I would dearly love to find her a place to "belong".

Anyone ever introduced an older chicken to day olds with good results?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never done day olds to older birds other than day olds with a broody among the flock. The broody keeps the babies under her eye and the others don't bother her.

As for a lone hen with chicks, I personally wouldn't try it because even if she is a loner, she has the pecking order in her mind, and the chicks will be lower than her. With the issues of a lone hen being introduced a second adult hen to their domain, and having them fight, a chick will probably not make it out of the fight. Yoy can try though, and maybe you'll be lucky.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Definitely something to think about and I will proceed with caution. Thanks silkie. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by