Anyone ever try this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Green_Eggs_and_Ham, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
  2. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

May 6, 2010
    Quote:Wow! Nobody?!

Anybody have other ideas? I was pretty successful this weekend in snagging three large rats (yuk!) with snap traps. But I think it's attracting them, not DIStracting them.

E/

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have heard people mention similar items on here. The right person just hasn't seen your post!

4. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy, Green Eggs and Ham --

I haven't tried the product you have mentioned, but question how effective these ultrasonic products are. After all, how do you know if it works if you cannot hear it? I have seen the motion water spray. The drawback is the constant water pressure.

Here's a link (http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/nationwide-trappers.htm) that features a US map; you can click on your state, then find someone to call for help.

Good luck!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I looked into the scarecrow when I had a heron eating out of my pond. Trouble was I have chickens, and cats that drink out of the garden pond. So I went with a net over the pond.
    I've always been dubious about the ultrasonic noise deterrent. Seems like a hungry determined predator won't let that stop them for long.
    I've read that the rodent noise deterrents they sell for inside the house are total rip-offs.
    I have to admit, that I've never used any, so no real experience with them.

Imp

6. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

May 6, 2010
    Mark & Nique :

Howdy, Green Eggs and Ham --

I haven't tried the product you have mentioned, but question how effective these ultrasonic products are. After all, how do you know if it works if you cannot hear it? I have seen the motion water spray. The drawback is the constant water pressure.

Here's a link (http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/nationwide-trappers.htm) that features a US map; you can click on your state, then find someone to call for help.

Good luck!

Thanks! Apparently, here, these rabbits are considered "protected" and cannot be trapped or exterminated. They won't even respond to a call. So a deterrent is my best bet. I've used coyote urine products, and nasty smelling rotten egg/cayenne pepper sprays. I've even sprinkled used kitty litter around the fence line. They all work for a day or two, but the rabbits and raccoons always return.

Thanks!​

7. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have the scarecrow that I have positioned along the "wild" side of the yard/coop. We have a rather large back yard that is on the secluded side and is ideal for lots of critters to run around in.

I have the hose connected to an orbit timer so that it feeds water to it around 9:30 pm to 4:30 am to deter would be nighttime predators. The sensitivity and coverage is adjustable just like a regular sprinkler, you just need a 9v battery to power the sensor.

I think it works rather well, I notice our feral cat population in our yard seems to be lower despite only being on at night. You can find several youtube vids of it in action. I use it as an additional layer to overall predator prevention.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Hey Thanks MakNugget. I only first saw the scarecrow here in this thread and I'm quite interested. I'll look on youtube for videos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by