Anyone ever use a chicken leash?

Julessrq

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Sarasota Fl
I raised 5 chicks . 2 bantams from 16 weeks and 3 baby chicks from 3 weeks old, a RR, Red sex link and Blue Wyandotte ..they are very friendly. I have an urban chicken tractor and a run that attaches to it. I have floor fencing since there are many predators out in my area. Raccoons, cats, foxes and dogs that aren't mine and not leashed! I live in a very suburban neighborhood.. I would love to let them out with me when I'm in the backyard working, which is quite often . I'm not sure how to get them back in though!! My yard is pretty tropical with lots of palms and trees and brush.I was wondering about chicken leashes? Or another trick to get them back in safely...
They are now 33 and 19 weeks old. (Finally one of the bantams has started to lay!!!) or and some snakes too, but I heard that was ok? Thanks for any advice as I feel bad I can't hang out with them like I could when they were small.

Ours know that the call of 'here chick chick chick' means they are going to get treats and they come running and do not hesitate going inside their closeable yard which is where we have taught them the treats will be delivered. Before we turned them loose free range we gave them treats in their yard along with the treat call so they would know what it meant. For treats we just use a little scratch grains. If you can keep them in your own yard, you should be able to get them to return home. If they can go over, under, or around fencing they may go walk about, however.

They love dried worms and will anywhere for them so maybe that would work. My fence is 3/4ths enclosed.. Any thing on leashes?

Back
Top Bottom