Anyone ever use Brinsea Ecoglow with goslings?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sunleacreations, Feb 27, 2012.

1. sunleacreations

sunleacreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I was thinking of getting the ecoglow to use with the chicks and goslings but have never seen one in real life to know if they are big enough for goslings (sebastopols) does anyone have any experience with them and if so was it the smaller one or the larger one? Thanks!

2. NCFF

NCFF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    I would like to know also. I want to buy a Ecoglow 50 for brooding my (6)pilgrims and (10) WH Ducks
    Has anybody used these with waterfowl?

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I've not used them and prefer to use an infra-red heat lamp on an adjustable chain. Goslings have a surprisingly high reach and its easy to get burned heads. Simply adjust to a height where they group (not huddle) together. Their behaviour will guide you to the correct height.

4. sunleacreations

sunleacreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks, I was interested just because of they money it will save in electric bills. a 250 watt bulb uses alot more then an 18 watt ecoglow

5. NCFF

NCFF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Well ~ I was hoping to get a little more input. I am going to order( the 50) to use with my goslings(8) and ducklings(10). Going to try and talk my Dorkings into raising them, but want to be prepared just in case that doesn't work out. I figure they wont burn themselves, no fires, and save money. I don't see why it would not be big enough. If they can squeeze under a momma to get warm, why would it not be big enough?

6. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I just got one this year. I am going to use it for chicks, ducklings and goslings. Pete55's concerns about getting burned are unfounded because it uses radiant heat. You can touch it without getting burned. A thermometer under it will not reflect it's heat.

With the ecoglo 50, you can make one side lower for smaller chicks.

I got mine because I nearly had a fire last year from a fallen lamp.

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi - As I said, I've not used one for goslings. When I mentioned goslings having a high reach and being at risk of burns to the head I was referring to using heat lamps with them. You've also rightly pointed out that if insecure they can pose a fire risk so always best to set them up correctly.

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I'm going to be brooding ducklings under mine in a couple weeks (I hope!). I'll let you know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by