Anyone ever use Green Roof Chicken coop design??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I'm looking into coop designs and I was VERY interested in this one.... anyone ever make one? Is there a cheap way to build it?? This coop will be inside my "shed" so it will be shielded from the weather.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

tell me more

3. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Bear in mind that green roofs are typically more like brown roofs for much of the year, except in unusually wet climates or with unusually thick/deep amounts of soil on them which is not practical for a coop.

But, there are a number of books out these days that give instructions for building green-roof sheds (ranging from books *about* green roof buildings, to books about building sheds that include a green roof version), I have read a couple in the pst 6 months just from our local library so they can't be *that* hard to find.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I won't be planting anything up top... I just like the design. [​IMG]

6. angelb

angelb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I'm not sure I understand...how do you intend to grow things on the roof if the coop is inside of a shed? Will you be supplementing lighting?

7. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:See above.

8. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, so you just want to build that *shape* coop (the one in the link) but with a regular roof?

Sure, that should be pretty easy, just, you know, look at it and sketch out the structure [​IMG] It is a box, with a smaller box hung from the ceiling and back wall. If it's in a shed (presumably open-sided?) you won't need much pitch to the roof but I'd give it a *little* anyhow, personally, just in case some precipitation blows in or the shed roof leaks. You wouldn't need those slats all over the outside (their only purpose is to camouflage 'stealth chickens') so you could leave them off. It's a really simple design, sure you can build it. Should not be difficult to scavenge much of the material for it, either.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:Well, here's my "shed".... not sure I'll have to worry about anything getting inside. [​IMG] It's heated inside even. Spoiled chooks! It's about 24'x18' give or take. PLENTY of room for a pitched roof! [​IMG] However, I've looking at some made from pallets... any plans recommended there???

[​IMG]

10. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hm, I'm sort of back to being confused, then LOL

They will have an outdoor run, yes? (I surely do hope!) But if so, the appeal of that sort of tiny 'stealth cube' is not really clear to me... you could build something ever so much simpler and cleaner and more user-friendly. The stealth green-roof thing is really not the best design if one is NOT trying to disguise one's chickens as a flowerpot [​IMG]

The simplest thing would be to decide what portion of the shed you will use as your coop; then either wall it off, or make a wooden 'box' that size, and add roost and nestbox and so forth, and there you go, a CUSTOM design that optimally fits your building [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by