Anyone ever use GroGel or any other vitamins? Or medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NS2A, Feb 28, 2008.

1. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
  2. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    I got 14 chicks a week ago from local feed store. I had ordered Gro-Gel and QuickChick and gave Gro-Gel and am still giving QuickChick and all 14 are doing great, eating very well, very lively, etc. I don't know if the G-G and QC have anything to do with it, but I am pleased with the progress so far!

3. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    I read that you don't have to use it

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've bought both before ..quick chick is ok to use, (some just give sugar water when the chicks arrive) the other I found just an added expense......I use medicated feed to help prevent Cocci, which is an intestinal disease that can be deadly to chicks...the dose in medicated feed is low but they get enough exposure to acquire immunity ....your feed should have all the vits. they need growing out...

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I used medicated feed last year for the chicks and nonmedicated when they were older.

In the fall I had three baby chicks and used nonmedicated and they did get cocci so I am all set to use medicated feed for chicks from now on.

I have banties and just mainly feed them their feed. But now I am starting to feed a little probiotics and electrolites in their water at a low dose. They are so small as chicks that I would like to give them a little boost.

6. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    I have my first batch of babies right now and I use all three. Grogel just for the first day when they came. I put vitamin/mineral stuff in their water for the first 5 days (taking a break from it now, but I'm keeping it on hand just in case.) They also have medicated feed. In general, we're not big on medications in our house, but since these are my first chicks and are considered pets (especially by my kids), I decided to go with medicated just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by