1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever use McCallum's Flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by augustmomx2, Apr 7, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So, I'm on the hunt for some bantam Silkies & Salmon Faverolles hatching eggs and came across this website:

http://www.mccallumsflock.com

Has anyone ever used them? Or do you have any suggestions for the above breeds? I just want to make sure I find a reputable place & a place that will be ready whenever I am ready. I currently have a 4wk old flock and it will be awhile before I actually take the plunge [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Hello! I just now came across your post, and I don't know if you ever ordered from them this year, but I had HORRIBLE hatch rates from them!!!! I do like the quality of the birds I ended up with (2 out of 27 eggs)...but I will NOT buy from them again.

3. RoosterRehab97

RoosterRehab97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was tempted to buy some Denizli eggs from them, but......... Naw, I'd still buy from them. 2 out of 27 is better than none, and Denizli are rare. But more common breeds like Salmon Favorelle I'd get someplace else.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
  5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the info everyone. I, of course, already have plans to add to my flock [​IMG] But, I'm choosing another way...Cloverleaf, I'm sorry you had such crappy hatch-rates. One of the main reasons I have chosen NOT to hatch eggs shipped.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yeah, and just when I decide to try it again...I ordered some eggs off ebay (BLRW - GORGEOUS STOCK) and they didn't make it here before the holiday, so they probably sat somewhere and are frozen now... [​IMG]

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:They finally came today... [​IMG]

8. RoosterRehab97

RoosterRehab97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

9. mmccallum

mmccallum New Egg

Jan 3, 2010
    Being one of the owners of McCallums Flock I figured I'ld post a comment here.
    We sell a number of breeds of chickens, we typically sell eggs although we
    occasionally have birds.

I noticed that Clover Leaf is in Oregon. Were your eggs delivered by FedEx or by US Priority Mail?
    We usually use FedEx because they normally do a better job of shipping, are more dependable on
    their shipping guarantees, and frankly they are just better. Also, US Mail sometimes x-ray's shipments leading to very poor or nil hatch rates. Here is the crazy part: Much of what is sent via US Priority Mail actually gets shipped by FedEx!!! So, the US mail handles your package, potentially x-rays it, then dumps it at FedEx who also handles it....thus leading to even lengthier delays!

Different breeds hatch at different rates,
    and some are more susceptible to shipping stress than others. Of special concern is heat and humidity stress during shipping. We are in Texas, you are in Oregon. I would expect a much lower hatch rate after what was a 4 day shipment IF using FedEx. US Priority Mail would likely take at least 4 days to deliver, possibly longer. However, we have shipped at least a half dozen shipments to Alaska, (inlcuding Anchorage last month) and got hatches. But admittedly, I dont' think their hatches were very good in Alaska! We typically put in a number of extras (how many depends on how well they are laying!)

My recommendation to anyone who is buying eggs for shipment to estimate how long it takes for the eggs to arrive. The seller should be able to tell you. If the shipment is going to take 4 days, you probably want to either buy from a different seller or arrange for more rapid shipment. However, if eggs are shipped xpress air, they can be damaged due to decompression and cold on the plane. So, anytime you buy eggs, its a hit or miss. However, many folk have paid extra for xpress shipping and had reasonable to excellent hatch rates. I dont' really think that shipping that way is financially worthwhile though, but if that is what the buyer wants we do it.

The first time I bought eggs was button quail almost ten years ago. I bought 36 and 1 hatched. At the time, I thought it was the seller. Today, having purchased many many eggs from people on the web I realize that so many things can happen during shipping that you never know. Still, most people get better than what Clover Leaf got. Every so often someone gets 100%, but I must say I consider that luck. IF you are getting eggs shipped to you, and you have a lot of experience hatching and a very good incubator (maybe a sportsman incubator for example) then getting 50-60% hatch is a reasonable expectation. If you are using a lesser model, you can still get that high, but the humidity tends to jump around a bit in incubators like those styrofoam models. If you have only hatched a few times, or never before you will probably not get a great hatch. I read somewhere that you should expect 30% hatch on shipped eggs, but I can tell you that an inexperienced person may not get that high. I can't recall getting that bad of a hatch from eggs shipped to me in years. But, we know what we are doing when hatching. When we hatch our own eggs we get great hatches, but these have not been shipped so if we get 99% hatch it doesn't mean a whole lot to someone who is going to hatch shipped eggs. Generally, I don't get too concerned about buying eggs so long as they are NPIP screened in the case of chickens, and also additional screening for Turkeys and pheasant. You can have very good success with shipped eggs. One thing, I put them right in the incubator instead of leaving them sit around like many websites suggest. But, this is my opinion and I have not sat down and quantified it!

If you have any questions about hatching eggs or other related issues, please contact Jamie at the website. She will gladly help you out with about anything.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    did the standard usps the first time, and fedex the second time. zero on the first hatch, two on the second. [​IMG]

However, the male I hatched on that second go-round is by far my best male! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by