anyone ever used a Chick Bator 3 egg incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gonzo, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I got the kids a Chick Bator 3 egg basic incubator for Christmas. Has anyone had any luck, problems or tips for this incubator? I've ordered some frizzle hatching eggs, and now I'm getting nervous about the incubator. We've never hatched eggs before, so I hope this is a good experience! [​IMG]

2. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have. I had eggs develop in one- twice - but once on day 18 the cat knocked it over [​IMG] (he went where he NEVER goes, but he's a cat, and they are very light) and the other time they simply stopped at day 16. You have to keep it in a room with a constant temp. It is too subject to changes otherwise. You should also run it for a while til you can be sure it will stay at roughly the same temp. Its nice if you can keep it in a place where you pass often. If you can get local eggs more the better since eggs shipped suffer and the success rate plunges. Mine came from a LONG way. If you are able to monitor it I don't see why it won't work, as long as the eggs are good to start, and I would also suggest checking that thermometer to be sure its on, and only turning 3 times a day to reduce the time it is open. I still have one, but I got a Brinsea to be able to put in more eggs. If you need help concerning temps and humidity there are people here far more knowledgeable than me and they are very helpful. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's possible, but so is hatching in a shirt, on a skillet, and under a lamp. Personally, if you want a good experience, I would get a better bator. Try searching for "dome bator", "3 egg incubator", "small incubator" and you should be able to find threads pertaining to it.

4. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    A Brinsea Eco Mini would be my suggestion. It keeps perfect temps (in my experience) and I have had good success with it. Holds 7-9 eggs depending on size. I would give the chickabator a try, though. It is better then a shirt certainly.

5. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I have one of these for my son and it has been lots of fun. Just follow the directions and keep and eye on it. They can and do work, just not as well as all the others being mentioned. I personally have enjoyed the learning experience with it and getting to know how they work. In comparison my Dickey cabinet incubator is way more reliable but also kinda boring. There is nothing for me to do. Have fun and happy hatching.
    Nancy

6. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    I agree with SilkieChicken, if it doesn't have a thermostat and a method of keeping the temperature of all side of the egg constant, you will get very poor quality hatch. However, if you know a real chicken nut you might convince them to do what I'm doing with a couple of teachers for their classrooms. They bought those cheap incubators and got eggs from me. I set some eggs of the same color and markings in my Sportsman the day they were supposed to start theirs. On day 18 we're going to swap out their eggs. A high school teacher wanted to do the same thing except they will be candling their eggs to see the growth. I told him that he needed a better incubator because I wasn't going to supply him with new eggs every couple of days.

7. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    i would get a mini advance from brinsea constant temp never hatched any less than 60%

8. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    go to you tube and look up mini incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by