Anyone ever used 'Alli' (orlistat)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Anyone ever used this medication to lose weight?

What are/were your experiences?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I haven't personally, but have talked to some of my Paramedic friends that have and they say it is some wicked stuff. It has the same ingredients in it that those chips had, Olestra, so that should tell you how it works. It blocks your body from absorbing the fat, but then where does that extra fat go????? Yup, right out and you'd better be close to a bathroom.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have not but my BIL did and he said it really helped him. I asked my pharmacist about it and he said he had heard some very good things about it working for people in our community.

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes I have... I don't think the side effects were as bad as stated. But make sure to start on a weekend. The best thing for me is that I was afraid to eat anything with fat, because I didn't want the side effects to happen... So, as long as you don't eat fat, you will be fine.

Seems weird, though, because the drug is supposed to block fat absorption, yet if you eat fat you have side effects, so while on it you try to avoid fat... if I had the discipline to not eat fat in the first place, woulnd't have to spend $50 on the pills.... [​IMG]

My advice though, spend the $50 on fruits veg and lean meats.

good luck!!!

5. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I used it for about 12 months and lost about 40 pounds. If you eat any fat it comes out in the end. If you feel the need, head for a bathroom. Don't pass any wind either. Sometimes it's more than expected.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I honestly think blocking fat is a completely faulty method to lose weight--the FDA's approval makes me cringe. We have had low fat and fat free products here for many decades and we as a nation are still much fatter than when those things hit the market. We even went back to using real butter over margarine and we use half n half in our coffee rather than lowfat artificial creamers. I really have decided the key is to eat real whole foods, not convenience foods or fast foods with artificial chemicals and bad fats in them. We eat lots of vegetables in stir fry meals and whole wheat pasta rather than the anemic type and it's easier to keep our weights down now. We may eat out once or twice a year now.

7. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    Some misconceptions.

First, it does not 'block fat'.

That is incorrect -- it does not block ALL the fat you eat from being absorbed. In fact, it blocks a third, or on the usual dose, a quarter, of the fat you eat.

In the over-the-counter amount, it only blocks 25% of the fat you eat, from being absorbed.

Even if you took double the over the counter amount, or even if you took more, it would STILL block only 30% of fat from being absorbed.

So if you see some signs of fat being passed through, remember that's only 25% (or 30% at double the dose) of the fat you ate. And...it makes you think, 'Oh man, I am eating a lot more fat than I thought'.

The 'treatment effects' are actually intentional, and are MEANT to make you think, 'oh man, when I eat a lot of fat, unpleasantries occur, I won't eat fat, then'.

The results gotten from Alli, then, when it is markedly successful, isn't just from absorbing fat. It's from causing a shift in eating patterns.

The idea is that it changes the diet you choose, so over time, you eat less and less fat. If you retain those habits (and you may if you spend enough time on the lower fat diet), then you won't regain the weight, either.

So it isn't actually just about blocking fat from being absorbed. It's about changing eating habits.

In studies, after stopping Alli, some did gain back a third or so of the weight they had lost(this is less than what dieters-without-Alli gained back). Then those people probably didn't change their eating habits permanently. That said, most people on most diets, only lose a pound or two even after extended periods on ANY diet. The Alli users, lost 6 or 7 pounds more than the dieters-without-Alli.

My belief is that many people don't lose weight, even on a variety of diets, because they don't realize how much calorie-dense foods they are eating. I think people find calorie dense foods comforting and filling and tend to eat more of them than they need without realizing it. I think people under-estimate portions, and get discouraged after long periods of time with only modest or no weight loss.

If most people only lose a pound or two on a diet, and the Alli users lost 6-7 lbs, that actually is a huge, huge difference. That is up to three and a half times more weight lost.

What I am trying to find out, is if it actually affects fat gained from NON FAT food sources. Due to ageing and hormonal changes, illness, sedentariness, other factors, people often convert carbohydrates to body fat. They may not eat foods high in fat at all, but still put on pounds of fat. Like my grandma who was addicted to home made Italian bread(lol) and ate virtually nothing high in fat, fried or otherwise - never ate a French fry, a fried chicken, or anything like that.

I don't think Alli affects the conversion of carbohydrates to body fat. However, it appears that blocking 25% of the fat one eats, is an effective way to assist weight loss.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using it. I think partly blocking fat, for people who have had problems with dieting, especially if they are morbidly obese, is a very good idea.

I don't think it needs to be a long term thing, either. It might just help someone to get started on a healthier diet.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I hope it does help some folks, but I really have my serious doubts about long term benefits. Best of luck with your program!

I did notice that it's very pricey, but so are most diet drugs.

Sorry, I haven't used it. Discussed with my dr once and she and I both decided it wasn't for me due to the obvious issues.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I also have my doubts about it...
    I, personally, would not use it..
    But good luck with your diet!

10. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    Another point in its favor is that it is much less dangerous than the stimulants many people use to lose weight. These can have very, very serious effects on the person. I don't think many people realize that the diet aids they use actually do contain stimulants, or what stimulants can do to their heart, circulation.

MY program?

I'm asking about it in general, I'm considering it - I always do a great deal of research before I consider using any item.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by