Anyone ever used Purely Poultry ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by horsechick, Nov 23, 2008.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Found this hatchery and wondered if anyone used them.
    Have a nice variety.
    Wondered about how nice looking the birds were to standards etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Angela

2. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Anyone?..........

No one.......?

Some one?????????

3. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I just brought up their Website and although I have never bought from them they seem to be much as all other big hatcheries as to Bred to the Standard qauality. They though clearly state that their birds are not Show Quality. With almost 20,000 members no BYC grower should have to buy from the big hatcheries. Let's support our own, and the quality of birds should grow by leaps and bounds.

4. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    As I'm in Wisconsin as they are, I've seen their recent ads all over and thought "cool"! I can just go pick up a few chicks, so I called. WRONG. They drop ship from Privett in NM (I had bad luck with them) and Metzer (who are very good) for waterfowl.

So, they are a "middleman".

5. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    ohhh, do=do..
    They had a couple breeds I'd be interested in getting.
    I may still try and see how it goes.
    Thanks all!

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:AMEN, sistah!!
    hUGS
    Christina

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    More like brother.
    I would buy if I could find someone selling comets or stars right now.

8. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Quote:You'd think it would be that easy, we've posted looking for specific breeds and no one answers, so either they missed it or no one has any or doesn't want to sell or only to certain people? or maybe they do answer and they are too far away, shipping cost to high, cost in general to high, or perhaps quality of birds not that good? etc... Many different reasons.
    So then your left to look at hatcheries and try to breed to standard from there. Sorry. =]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:You'd think it would be that easy, we've posted looking for specific breeds and no one answers, so either they missed it or no one has any or doesn't want to sell or only to certain people? or maybe they do answer and they are too far away, shipping cost to high, cost in general to high, or perhaps quality of birds not that good? etc... Many different reasons.
    So then your left to look at hatcheries and try to breed to standard from there. Sorry. =]

I'm really sorry to hear that. I will be shipping chicks in the Spring, but I only have six breeds so it's not a great selection. I do produce all my own hatching eggs though, and all the birds are bred as close to the standard for the breed that I can manage. Any birds from me have the potential to do well in shows. As to the egg laying pullets that seem to be popular, I definitely want good egg production but the cockerels from these lines are not profitable enough to raise for meat, so they are mostly killed just after sexing. I like dual purpose breeds and only sell straight run chicks.
    It is to bad that more BYC members do not sell chicks. I'm sure that they can produce birds comparable or better than most hatcheries as far bred to the standard goes.

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    It is a problem when you do not want to incubate eggs but only want 3 or 4 chicks. For some reason you either have to buy 22 chicks or buy eggs and hatch them yourself. Some of us do not want to get into the hatching thing. Our only alternative is to order from a hatchery that will sell only a few at a time. Why is it that our breeders (BYC members) don't want to sell chicks ?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by