1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ever used the EcoBrooder for their chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Leisa1968, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Leisa1968

Leisa1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    "Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder" I am waiting on a shipment of new babies this next week and I bought an Eco Brooder for them. Its the yellow platform looking thing that they can stand under to keep warm. Has anyone used this? It isn't a light and uses less energy but is it NECESSARY to have light for them? Didn't know for sure and I have used the light before but it worries me that it might be a fire hazzard. Any advice?
    Thank you

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

No the light is definitely not necessary.

I started out with the red brooder light, switched over to the eco, and will never use a heat lamp again. The eco was wonderful. No fire danger and the chicks loved it.

I had the eco 20. The only complaint I had about it was that changing the heights as the chicks grew was a little challenging. Not horrible, but follow their directions and be sure you use a screwdriver. Almost impossible without it. You will love your eco. I used mine outside in the coop, even when the ambient temps were a little lower than the 50 they say and it worked fine.

3. Leisa1968

Leisa1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Great! Thank you SO much! I'm excited to use it. Always worried about fire with the heat lamps. I have the Eco 20 also. Can't wait to use it now. Thank you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by