Anyone ever walk their chickens on a leash?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by H2Momma, Oct 25, 2011.

1. H2Momma

H2Momma Out Of The Brooder

I took my favorite chicken "LOCO" to a little Chicken Palooza at our local feed store...... I wanted her to win a prize, but had know idea how there set up was going to be.... Soooo, Loco and I went to Petsmart - her in the buggy :-D and went straight to the harness department, where she tried on several different harnesses. From there we went directly to our little feed store where I carried her in (not sure how she was going to react) I set her down and she was an immediate hit!!!! She loved the leash! She wandered up and down every isle, played with some Silkies and even got kissed by a dog. Everyone kept asking how long it took to train her to walk on a lead, petting her and taking her picture! Loco had fun and I got to make some new friends!! Can't wait to take her back to Petsmart and let her pick out her own treats, on the leash of course!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS. My kids have now said I am officially a "Crazy Chicken Lady!!"

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    A friend once knitted a leash for one of my hens... but I love your idea!!! Thats so cute!!! [​IMG]

3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Cool! [​IMG]

4. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] you realize i now have to get a leash for my chicken right? Do you see what i have done to me! R u proud of yourself? WELL U SHOULD BE [​IMG]

5. H2Momma

you realize i now have to get a leash for my chicken right? Do you see what i have done to me! R u proud of yourself? WELL U SHOULD BE

I'm very proud of myself!! LOL Post pics when you do! I just let LOCO lead me around, but hell, it sure was fun!

6. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    that Is SOOO Cute! I Might Just Get one!

7. H2Momma

I found an x-small (kitten fit her the best) I now wish I had bought a larger harness that I could down size for LOCO, but would fit my big girls! I'm thinkin my Speckled Sussex is my next walking partner! Hey.... that gives me a good excuse to leash up LOCO and go back to Petsmart!!! Baahaahaa!!!

8. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:good things come with small leashes [​IMG]

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have a harness for my Dark Brahma. It used to be my dogs harness but they ended up chewing it [​IMG] I taped up the part that was chewed and adjusted it to fit my chicken. I attached the dog leash to one of the D rings and walked her like a dog. The only problem is she walks like a drunk when she has the leash and harness on her. No idea why. It is almost like she is squating. Perhaps she thinks its a rooster? [​IMG] I really don't know. I always end up carrying her instead of walking her because of this. [​IMG]

I am glad to hear that your chicken likes to walk on the harness and leash. It must be adorable to see! She is a beautiful chicken! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I use a horse halter for my Jersey Giants. They think it's to heavy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by