Anyone ever wind up with a Welsummer that was supposed to be an EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Contessa, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Contessa

Contessa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    Bethany, OK
    I have four birds, two of which were supposed to be EE's. I am about 75% convinced one of them is a Welsummer. It has no beard and no muffs and the color patter appears to be right. Anyone ever have this happen before? Or is it possible I still have an EE that has the Welsummer's coloring?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Anything is possible! [​IMG]

A picture would be very helpful.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

At first glance, I will occasionally mistake my Welsummer Shirley for my EE Rebecca, if it's a side glance. From the front, no way, and certainly not from the rear. But Rebecca has the partridge coloring very similar to the Welsummer.

4. Contessa

Jan 21, 2010
    Bethany, OK
    Quote:Let me see what I can do...

5. Contessa

Jan 21, 2010
    Bethany, OK
    [​IMG]

Ok, looking again here I take it back. I don't think she's a welsummer. Her legs are wrong (green and not yellow) and so is her comb (looks like a pea comb maybe?).

Why doesn't she have a beard or muffs? Do they just come in really late?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She is an EE. Green legs and pea comb are the giveaway. EE's are a mixed breed, so they may or may not have muffs/beards.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

She looks like she could be an EE. The majority of EE do have beards/muffs, but it is also possible for an EE not to have a beard and/or muffs as there are some who don't have pea combs or green legs.

I have an EE roo with a beautiful beard, green legs and a straight comb and have 3 EE's who have yellow legs. It depends on the genetics of the parents.

8. Contessa

Jan 21, 2010
    Bethany, OK
    Quote:Oh boo!! I really wanted a beardy chicken! She's pretty though. Thanks for the explaination (and the reminder) - for some stupid reason I thought she may have one or the other. Don't know why I didn't consider "neither" as an option.

9. Contessa

Jan 21, 2010
    Bethany, OK
    Quote:These were all hatchery stock. My other is green legged also with a different comb - can't tell what kind but it looks a lot more like a rose comb. She looks like she's going to have muffs.

I got excited for a few minutes thinking I got a surprise. I still did, just not the one I thought! [​IMG]

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

That is the one neat thing about EEs they are unique ~ you never know what you are going to get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by