Anyone familiar with Golden Campines?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by paceysgl5, Mar 15, 2011.

1. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    We noticed that our one GC pullet, Gwen, has quite the comb coming in. She has always been very flighty and I never doubted that she was a SHE until we were taking pics yesterday and noticed the comb has really started to come in a bit pinker than some of the other chickens. She was 4 weeks, 5 days old in these pics. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    yep I would say she may just very well be a HE. I was looking at the hackle feathers and they look pointed instead of rounded...but that could be the coloring too. time will tell

3. paceysgl5

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    if by hackle feathers, you mean the ones around her neck (sorry new at this) then they look very similar to the feathers around the neck of both our EE's

[​IMG]

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    With a comb like that, most likely a rooster.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You have yourself a little roo.

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Yep, thats a roo. As for the roo feathering. Originally campines are also Hen feathered like sebrights if I remember correctly so feathering isn't much to go by either. Although I have seen some hatchery Campine roos with pointy hackles and saddle feathers. I use o have completely henfeathered Silver Camps. They certainly are nice birds.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, you have a boy.

8. paceysgl5

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    That's disappointing! I am hoping someone raised a GC and might have 5-week old pics?? Maybe I'll post a new topic for that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by