1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone familiar with White Rocks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrygirl4513, May 21, 2008.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I rescued 7 babies from TSC back at Easter and now they are growin big. I've got 2 that concern me. They look to be either White Rocks or Jumbo Cornish X Rocks. Both are pullets. These birds have huge breasts [​IMG] and are very large birds. However, not only do they walk like a duck, and I mean they waddle!They are extremely lazy! They hassle like a turkey would, constantly and they don't roost at night. They would rather stay on the floor since they are so big they just can't lift their big butts up to get a perch. My question is for anyone who is familiar with this breed. Is this normal? I would post a pic but I'm on dial up and it takes a lifetime to upload.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    bump

Please do not bump posts - Mod Staff

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Do you have a picture? I have 2 white rocks and they do develop faster and chestier than most chicks, but they aren't lazy. Mine were from TSC too, not supposed to be white rocks either [​IMG]

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I have white rocks, and mine roost [​IMG] Though, there are a few that I have been looking at, and seeing a nice roasted chicken....they are very fat [​IMG] I've been wondering myself, if I ended up with a couple of broilers. My rocks came from Welp's last year.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's very possible someone mislabled "White Rocks" when they were "Cornish Rocks" which would make them Cornish Crosses. If you've never been exposed to these birds, get into the meat bird section and read the first few pages.

6. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    I have one WR and one CornishX. It sounds to me like those are both CornishX's. My WR is big, but she is very active and roosts every night. My CornishX is so fat that she waddles when she walks and I had to make a special "bed" for her at night since she can't get up top to roost. Keep an eye on them if they start to lay down alot and seem to have problems walking you may lose them.

7. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Thanks all, I figured they were meat birds. I've never seen a chicken waddle so bad. It's like since they can't see over their chest to their feet they don't know how to operate their locomotion. Mine were suppose to be Rhode Island Reds, from TSC. Evidently someone didn't know what they were doing when they ordered them.

Sorry for the bump Mods. Didn't know I broke the law.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Forgiven. [​IMG]

9. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have white rocks. They are rather chesty. One is so huge that I grunt when I have to lift her out of the nesting box [​IMG] But, mine don't waddle, they do roost and they are not lazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by