Anyone feed bugs other than mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SavageDestiny, Feb 3, 2014.

1. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    And no, I don't mean the chickens free ranging and finding their own bugs. :)

I know some people raise mealworms to supplement their chickens' diet, especially during winter. I was wondering if anyone raised and fed any other bugs like crickets or roly polies? I know both of these are fairly easy to raise, and I've been thinking of raising some for my chickens when I get them.

Thoughts?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I don't raise them myself but I do buy live crickets for my girls. It is the funniest show you will ever see watching them catch the crickets. If you have something in mind I suggest you buy a few live ones at a pet store and see if your chickens like them, then go into raising them.

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I don't raise them myself, but some folks use black soldier fly larvae for their birds. I buy mine dried because I don't have time or the proper place to grow my own.

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I don't raise any intentionally, but if I save any grubs I find while digging in the garden and toss them into the chicken run. That usually generates some excitement.

5. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I don't raise any bugs or crickets, but my girls go crazy over crickets. I get them from our local bait shop and haven't been able to get them lately. It's been cold and not many people fish this time of the year. Probably be March before they have them again.

6. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Hmm good ideas! I had forgotten about the black soldier flies. I just want my girls to have lots of options, and I'd rather raise the bugs myself and know what they have eaten before I feed them to my chickens.

7. granthamkk

granthamkk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    DFW Area
    I don't raise any, but my hens love it when I move the dogs igloo houses. It's like a special banquet. Lots of little creatures under there. I've found myself putting rocks places so I can flip them over in a few weeks.

8. sueblack

sueblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Saegertown, PA
    Wow. feeding live crickets to chickens. I am going to have to try this!

9. FinnIslander

FinnIslander Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Sitka, Alaska
    Where I live, under the kelp that washes up on the beach are all sorts of pill bugs and amphipods. My girls love them!

10. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I don't raise any but I gathered and froze several gallon bags of cicada's for my girls this past summer. They've just finished them off. Pull out a handful and let them thaw a few minutes and then throw them in the run.

There were so many cicada's that the girls were gorging themselves on them. Figured I'd gather some for the winter when they'd be wanting something different. So glad I did, they loved them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by