anyone feed their dog raw eggs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lagpmgdsls, Dec 29, 2009.

1. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    I have a surplus right now so I am just curious if anyone feeds them to their dog. In the shell or not?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sure. I feed her a powdered probiotic supplement and mix it into something runny, sometimes raw egg.

She also likes them runny-scrambled, and when I feed the shells they are crushed up in that.
    She doesn't really care for shells all that much, but the birds love them, so there is no waste!

Oh, Edit, there is some reason about bioten deficiency that you shouldn't feed raw egg whites. The conclusion over on the raw feeding forum was that you'd have to feed a large dog 30-45 eggs a month to have any issues. I feed raw eggs occasionally and don't worry about it one teensy bit. I do recommend that you research and come to a conclusion that you are comfortable with, or simply fry the eggs enough to cook the whites!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I ususally crack one into a dish for our Mai, she has a skin issue and i think the eggs are helping! I save the shells for my birds. When I make homemade dog food I add 6 tablespoons of powdered eggshell to help add calcium.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. If I collect any that are especially muddy or poopy I throw them over the fence into the backyard. The dogs love them! Every now and then I'll crack one into the food bowls or I'll scramble them up. They gobble them right up!

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I feed my dogs raw eggs all the time with no ill effects.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    My dogs fed themselves a whole flat of raw eggs yesterday!!! [​IMG] I was expecting they would have the runs or something but they didn't. That was one CHERRY flat of eggs. DARK marans eggs, pure lavender orpington, Mottled Java, Silkie/Showgirl which could give me blue partridge showgirls... F2 mille fleur cochin eggs. I hope they REALLY enjoyed themselves. Did they tip over any of the two cartons with older eggs? NO! It was the good, fresh stuff! Made me ship a batch of eggs a day late too! Okay, rant over. Raw eggs didn't hurt the dogs one bit.

7. Chickygirl55

Chickygirl55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    We feed them to our dogs all the time. It helps their coats. Very nutritional for them.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I feed the dogs and cats excess raw eggs. I just crack them on top of the dry food and give the shells back to the chickens. My little Shih-Tzu gets them in his beard so lately I have been cracking one in an empty sour cream container and putting it in the microwave for 35 seconds. Perfect egg, no muss no fuss.

9. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    yes, i crack the raw egg on her dog food--she loves it. i just give her any cracked or poopy ones.

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    We crack them on top of their usual food, and throw the shell in too for some of our dogs (some don't like the shell).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by