Anyone feeding Kent "Home Fresh Extra Egg 16"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by diggergal, Aug 9, 2011.

1. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    My pullets are 17 weeks old and I am getting ready to switch to layer food. The feed mill in my town sells Kent products. For poultry products Kent makes "Home Fresh" feeds. They recommend at around 18 weeks to feed "Home Fresh Extra Egg 16". Any one use this product and have an opinion?

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I use it. I haven't see any difference between it and my old feed from the mill- except that it is cheaper. but when you do your price comparison, remember it is only 40lbs.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I have used Kent Feed before, I was using there Highflyer 28 and 22 on my birds and it's good feed.

Chris

4. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i use it for my layers and chicks (chick n go) and i really like it . i have seen my birds look healthier then when on other brands and they are still laying eggs right thru this heat . not as many when cooler but i am not complaining out of 39 layers i get 24 eggs or better a day . i would love to use buckeye but they do not sell it in michigan [​IMG] why i have no idea but i cant find it any where it even looked better then kent.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:See if there is a Family Farm and Home near you. Many sell Kent Feeds and also Armada Feed, which I believe you might like to try. Good quality.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Many exhibition poultry breeders like the Kent products very much.

The 16% is a well balanced and useful feed for birds that are producing table eggs.

Birds that scavenge on range or are fed a lot of "treats", scratch and other less nutritious feeds will not do as well on it. 16% is about the minimum. Consider using the 27% feed instead of 16% (or a mix there of) when the nutrition is diluted in this way.

The Kent Multi Flock is used extensively as a base chicken breeder ration as well. The multi flock is an awsome ration for growing and mature turkeys (even market turkeys), waterfowl and pigeons. We found that the pigeons in particulat did super well on it.

7. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I use it. I haven't see any difference between it and my old feed from the mill- except that it is cheaper. but when you do your price comparison, remember it is only 40lbs.

I'll take that back, I was thinking about different feed I had bought from Family Farm and Home. That feed was 40lbs. The "Fresh Extra Egg" worked very well for me. I like that the feed was not dusty and the hens seemed to like it.

8. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:Sounds like a good place to start. See how it works out and adjust. The mixed feed would be 18.% by calculation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by