Anyone feeding spent brewers grains?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickeemama, Feb 5, 2013.

1. chickeemama

chickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Iowa
    I am looking for someone that has experience feeding spent grains to there flock. What percentage grains to you feed in ratio to ground feed (commercial)? Have you tried fermenting the spent grain? I have access to fresh brewers grains, they love it and my water consumption has went down dramatically, it is fed very moist. I have not been feeding commercial feed, I lost a rooster yesterday, now I am questioning if I still need to be feeding them commercial feed. I have been feeding the spent grain for about 4 weeks, they also get kitchen scraps and corn tossed for treats. They all act healthy and normal, I did not notice anything off about the one I lost so I need to rule out the change in feed.......

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I read a post just recently of a guy who was. I typed in a search in the BYC search bar 'brewers grain' and a few threads popped up. Give it a try and see what you learn - best of luck!

3. chickeemama

chickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Thank you for the suggestion, I did try that as well, but I am really looking for someone that is currently feeding these grains, to compare notes! I will keep searching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by