Anyone feeding your Kombutcha mothers to your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mamadawn, Aug 14, 2014.

1. mamadawn

mamadawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    Utah
    This thread won't apply to many as when talking about Kombucha I've found I'm on a different planet with a language all of its own- Im just hoping with the vast network of the BYC flock, I may find some input.
    I've got a hotel full of mother scobys and heard you can feed them to your chickens- being full of probiotics and vitamins, minerals ect...
    Do ya just put a mother out there or grind it up? How much, how often? Sorry I spelled Kombucha wrong in the title :( just found earlier threads when I spelled it right!
    So grind it up? How much? How often?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. carolb5

carolb5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Montana
    I plan to when I have too many scobys. I'll keep a few separate scobys for back ups but I plan to grow scobys on purpose for my birds. I probably will grind mine at first to see how it goes. I'm new to this.

Carol

1 person likes this.
  3. dancingqueen

dancingqueen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2014
    I haven't fed my chickens a scoby from kombucha, but couldn't you just feed it to them in the wet state? I ferment my chickens feed and the scoby just gets mixed back into the feed and fed to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by