1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone feel guilty at their first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cherry Bird, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Cherry Bird

Cherry Bird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    When you went out to the coop and found your first egg, did you feel guilty eating it? Or was it nothing but yummy?

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm still waiting for my first egg eagerly!! Why would you feel guilty eating it?

3. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Quote:Oh this is funny! I have been wondering the same thing and glad I am not the only one.
    Any day now and I can hardly wait for the guilt! I've worked hard for it!
    But oy! The guilt!
    Hahaha!

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Why would you feel guilty eating it? lol I would be kinda excited!

5. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    i felt more guilty taking it, eating it was very exciting [​IMG] before i knew how to break one of my chickens broods i felt really guilty about snagging eggs from under her because she would roll the other chickens' eggs to her spot and lay on them and i felt like i was making her sad [​IMG]

6. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Quote:Oh I am very excited and can hardly wait for that wonderful deep color and richness!
    Just a tad worried I might feel as if I am eating a grandbaby!
    I am new at this you see and they are, well, my babies ...

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

6chick*start :

Quote:Oh this is funny! I have been wondering the same thing and glad I am not the only one.
    Any day now and I can hardly wait for the guilt! I've worked hard for it!
    But oy! The guilt!
    Hahaha!

Me Too. [​IMG]

8. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I think I will only feel guilty if I eat it-instead of giving it to my son who did all the work of building the coop and run-then modifying it-again and again-and again! [​IMG]

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    It never crossed my mind to feel guilty. I got my first egg Monday afternoon - enjoyed it for breakfast Tuesday morning. The same hen laid the second egg today - and I"m saving it for when my granddaughters visit tomorrow. They'll share it. I'm the one who takes care of the chickens each day. So I got the first egg. No guilt - just enjoyment.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't know if it was all that guilty, but I did have a brief, introspective moment when I picked up the very first egg from the nest. Here was a gift from a pullet I'd raised from a chick, working so hard to make this, and I'm gonna take it from her just to EAT it?

Then I realized she'd laid it and left. Out in the yard, being a chicken. Whoops! An egg! Off to go look for good bugs.

Thanks for the egg, sweetie! Om nom num...

Now, removing eggs from beneath a hen, I don't do that unless she's broody and I need to remove later eggs she's stolen to add to her clutch.

Not taking eggs while a hen is in the nest is the way I get a clue if a hen is broody or not. I gather at different times of the day, so if a hen is on the nest for two nights in a row, she's probably gone broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by