Anyone fish farm?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by awesomefowl, Dec 30, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I have been researching this lately. It sounds very interesting...growing your own tilapia at home. www.tilapiafarmingathome.com this was an interesting site.
    Tilapia are very tasty. Anyone do this? What did/do you think? I'd like to try it!

BTW Happy New Year almost everyone!!!!

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I also have questions if anyone does raise tilapia.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Down here... or rather a bit west of here... there is a farm that raises shrimp... sounds way tastier than tilapia.

Also, if you're looking into fish tanks you might find aquaponics an interesting read... lots of sites about it, but basically the fish poo feeds the plants and the plants filter the fish's home... still have to feed the fish, but if you're gonna be doing that anyways why not get some fresh veggies out of it?

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  6. PineappleMama

^Yuppers... I went to that other mentioned topic and had to go snoop on your site... amazing all the things you do... I'm jealous!

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Aww thank you! I don't feel like it's a lot, I'm always trying to "expand" lol...

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I keep planting them, but they never come up.

[​IMG]

9. PineappleMama

My expanding is all in my waistline these days... but someday I hope to change that and sites like yours are bookmarked for ideas!

Farmboy [​IMG] only thing I can grow is trees in my flowerbeds... go figure.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    [​IMG]

We have really good luck with vegetables... you just have to find what works for you... I've found that I CANNOT grow turnips here, they get covered in weird bugs. Also we experimented with a different strain of bell peppers and they all got black mold on them... [​IMG] I'm sticking to regular bell peppers from now on! No problems with those!

We start all our seeds indoors and transplant and move them out at a few weeks old, then a few weeks later transplant to either the pots or garden where they will stay.

Except when it hits 32* like tonight and kills all of our plants. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by