1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Anyone Fly Tying???

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by chicken boy sam, Nov 26, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Does anyone else on here tie flies? I'm interested in doing this and it sounds kind of fun! Is it easy? Post pics and discuss fly tying!

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
  3. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I have a bunch of roosters and I've been thinking about giving this a try as well. My grandfather still fishes like this and I wanted to be able to send him some flies.
    I have been looking at this site http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/ they have pictures which is great because I am one of those people that need to see it being done.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have a buddy who ties his own fly fishing flies. He says once your learn how, it takes about a minute or two for his simple designs. He uses the butt fluff ones for some, hackles/sickles for most, and doesn't really want any with stiff shafts. The hard core fly tiers I know in oregon at least, are really specific on what they want.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
  6. EACWOODCRAFTS

EACWOODCRAFTS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Stetson.Maine
    Hi, i just started fly tying this year and have taught several people how to make earings with feathers too.The plymouth rock is the main breed i have to work with.If you are interested i can give you a list of the basic tools to buy so you don't waste your time or money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by