1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone Free Rang meat birds on their lawn??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rchucks, Sep 7, 2010.

1. rchucks

rchucks Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    We are planning on raising meat birds next spring. Don't know if we'll do cornish x or freedom rangers. Have been reading Joel Salatin's books on "Pastured Poultry" and I want to "pasture" them on my large back lawn (about 8,000 sq feet) Has anyone been doing this? I'm not afraid of building a couple of pins and moving them every day. Just looking for advise and experience!

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I did.
    25 birds in a 10X10 tractor moved daily.
    even with a daily move the poop mat was horrendous. It would water back into the lawn in about a week - but that left seven 10X10 poop mats in varrying stages of disolving.
    It did not turn out as cool as I thought it would. the birds liked it though.

3. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I don't let mine run because I don't want to have to keep track of 20 birds, but I have movable pens for them. These eat all the goatheads for me but the last 2 batches we've had never moved from the feeder and it didn't matter what plants they were sitting on.

4. rchucks

May 21, 2010
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    I was thinking a 10 x 10 tractor as well. I wouldnt think the poop would be that bad. How did the lawn respond?

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    It's very green now, but it was pretty ugly during those last weeks. I've got 6 in the 10X10 pen right now, I'll go take pic of yesterdays poop patch in the morning for you . . . you're going to be surprised at how bad it looks.

6. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I move my pen daily and you would be suprised at how much they poop. They clean all the weeds out and cover the ground with poo daily.

7. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    We raised the Cornish Xs this year on the lawn. We live in the country and the area where we raised them was not pristine to start with. Anyway I had them in a pen but let them run around every day. It truly wasn't that bad. I would move the pen each morning and hosed the ground where they had been. The grass looks great there now. [​IMG]

8. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I free range my CxR with great results but in a recent experiment I did I got better results by Using a tractor and moving them it took aprox 15 Weeks to 100% free range my meaties to Processing weights. And my 2nd batch took only 12 weeks. Taste wise I think the free range were more juicy and tender. But the tractored Were alot bigger in size and consistancy. Hope that helps.

9. rchucks

May 21, 2010
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Good input from everyone. Thanks alot. I think I will try the tractor method and see how it goes. My DW is a stay at home mom who could be talked into watering down the poop each morning if needed. Our laying hens (7 + one newely found out roo) hang out on the lawn all day anyways...

10. rchucks

May 21, 2010
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    MM Poultry Farms,

Does 100% free range that you did not feed them any regular food? Only grass and bugs that they could find. What were your process weights? Why did the second batch only take 12 weeks vs. 15 for the first? Hope you don't mind the questions....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by