Anyone from barboursville wv area?

stevie223

Hatching
Mar 17, 2019
Hey there I'm new to this forum and have been trying to find a few answers about keeping chickens in barboursville wv. I've just started building a coop and was planning on getting maybe 5 or 6 chickens with a rooster. I've yet to talk to my neighbors yet about the rooster but is there an local laws stating you cant keep a rooster? because of the possible noise? I have 2 neighbors one is 100ft away and the other is about 500ft away if that helps.

Thanks for your time

I'm not from Barboursville, but I looked at buying a house there last summer (2018). Unfortunately, after talking with the mayor and the County, Barboursville is NOT chicken friendly particularly within city limits, and no roos allowed. Putnam county said their enforcement is complaint based, but Cabell County has strict enforced regulations. Honestly I was surprised to find New Hampshire was more accepting of BYC than WV. Certainly do your research.

A little late, but we recently moved to the Barboursville outskirts and based our location on whether or not we could have chickens. If you live outside of the city limits, but are within Cabell County, you can have chickens and roosters. Huntington, WV, allows some chickens (hens only) based on your neighbor's consent and yard. We had six downtown for years. I know that downtown Barboursville currently doesn't allow any chickens, but the mayor has spoken publicly that he wasn't opposed to them and was looking into allowing them at one point a few years ago. Call the Health Department. They are actually the ones that originally gave us permission to have chickens.

That being said, I know a few people in Barboursville city limits (not downtown) that have chickens and have had them for many years.

Back
Top Bottom