Anyone from the Pacific NW with decline in eggs from shorter days?

spartanchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Camano Island, Washington
I am in Washington and 2 out of my 3 six month old pullets have stopped laying. I am new to chickens and not sure if they start slowing down at this time of the year due to the shorter days. I thought it may have been later when the days are really short, right now we get about 12 hours of daylight. They are a Speckled Sussex and a Light Brahma that have stopped, the Light Brahma layed only one 2 weeks ago and never seen one from her since. The Speckled Sussex layed about 2 dozen before going on strike about the same time.

I can't help you as my six haven't started laying yet but am hopeful any day. I have been wondering the same thing about the shorter days if it is going to have an effect on when they will start laying. They are 5 1/2 and 6 months old.

I haven't yet noticed a huge drop in production, but I have different breeds. Brahmas aren't known for being stellar layers, and my Sussex aren't either.

I've got an easter egger who was laying 3 of every 4 days, but hasn't now for about 3 days (just since this last system of rain has come through), and a marans who hasn't laid a darn thing for me since we got her a month ago. Now, I can't be sure exactly how old either is, but the guy I bought them from had his all separated out by age, and said the two I chose had just recently begun laying. Well...the easter egger's comb is waxy red, but the marans' is lighter and looks more like pink dry skin rather than a waxy red. The marans seems like she's molting now too, so??? I'll give her a couple months because she's a very nice bird, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I just got sold an old bird. I'm going to have my son rig up some LED holiday lights for their coop as soon as we get a non-rainy day to see if things will improve. In the meantime, they are getting extra protein supplements in the form of purchased "super worms" (huge meal worms) and every earthworm, beetle, moth, or dragonfly I can get them. My kids have been saving the birds the peas and other legumes "for the birds, Mom!" because the kids really don't like peas OR beans. They( the chickens) like my flax seed, chia seed, oatmeal, uncooked grits, yogurt mashup that I make for them with leftover breakfast. If I make too much, the dog is happy to take the extra. But I do plan on supplemental lighting, if not for the birds, for my own sake, as I have a hard time doing a headcount in the lower lighting of fall evenings. :) it's only two birds, shouldn't be hard to do a headcount, just that I'm THAT nightblind. lol

Last edited:
I think the ladies need 14 hours of daylight to lay productively. I have 20 birds, 5 months old, and they just started laying, it is a mixed flock of Susex, Rhode Island Reds, Araucanas, Polish and a couple of leg horn roosters. Right now we have 12 hours or so of daylight, but will hook up an automatic light fixture as winter becomes more pervasive. I get about 4 -6 eggs a day, enough for us, neighbors and friends.

Thanks for all of the responses! Kellieetal hope the lighting works for you. Seems like your maran might be a little older if she is molting already? That sounds a little suspicious. I just remembered I had clipped the wings about the time they stopped laying because they were flying over the fence. We have a bad coyote problem and want to keep them safe, so maybe they are protesting by going on an egg strike also.

Back
Top Bottom