Anyone getting Chukar eggs yet? Dust bath help?

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
Just curious if anyone was getting any Chukar eggs yet? Quail or Pheasant? Any pictures welcome. Im located in Virginia, so if you'd please tell me where you're from so I can get an idea of when I might expect. I've gotten my first breeding pair of Chukars recently ( first time bird owner) and am excited for the first eggs to try incubating with hopefully decent success. Any tips in general for Chukar are welcome. I'm also wondering about dust boxes, are these required for my Chukar? What are the benefits? And how big would you reccomend (my cage is 6 feet X 2 feet with only 2 birds, 1 male 1 female) ? Thanks

Don't know about Chukar, but I just started getting quail eggs this week. (I provide light for my chickens, so they lay all winter, but not the quail.) I haven't seen any pheasant eggs yet this year.

That sounds good, and good luck with your eggs! I was thinking about starting to use artificial light myself somewhere near September or so to get another laying season. The guy I bought my breeding pair from said that a few of his Pheasants were starting to lay this past weekend, so hopefully yours are coming soon too

I just got 22 Chuckar egg from (Jims Bird House) monday He just put 200 in INC so his are laying.In Gonzales ,TX.Wife and I drove over and picked them up (100 miles) nice drive.Had a nice visit with a Great Guy.He's a member of BYC makes some great ,low waste feeders TOO...Thanks James ...cva34

I have already hatched a few chukar chicks I have been getting eggs for a while I am almost as far east and south as you can go in Va.

I am near deep creek 292-6489 David on this end

Last edited:
aprophet, It sounds like I should be hopefully getting some eggs myself too soon. It seems as if I'm actually just down the street from you too, Im out near dominion and cedar. You're using natural light or do you have artificial light? Thanks

I have cousins out near you I have mine on timers and lights I do not turn them on until the birds start laying and the natural light is already coming up if you want to buy a few I am getting both bobwhite and chukar eggs I already have a few bobwhite and chukar chicks that and a few coturnix and one lonely little serama :) she is spoiled rotten like my duck . my bators are full both of them are you on pet chickens of Va are you aware of the "chicken swaps" ?

Last edited:
My Chukars actually layed the first eggs yesterday in natural light so I guess it's on the way with them. Do you ever have an issue with the first few eggs not being fertile? Just wondering cause I've read that atleast with articficial light, it takes the male about 2 more weeks longer than the female to be ready to breed and didn't know if it worked the same with natural light too. I'd possibly be interested in getting a few bobwhite, and possibly a few more Chukar too. I've been to 2 of the recent swaps, one at TSC in Franklin and the other in Smithfield. I got my Chukars at the swap in Smithfield actually. What are you looking to get for the bobwhites?

How often to the chukar hens lay? Mine started this weekend. I got four eggs... but nothing now for two days... I removed the first four without disturbing the birds or the "nests" they made.... Just curious if I made a mistake by collecting them...

My pairs were fertile from the first egg my colony pens it took the male a little to figure out what to do with a hen they have become fertile in the last 2 weeks I just got a "fart egg" from a hen who laid her first egg today I am getting 8-9 Bob eggs a day so it would be a coupla days to get a dozen or 2 ,$1 /egg $10/doz after the first bunch of eggs I will give you a few extras I have 1 pen that is not fertile yet . I was out your way every day for a week I was getting rid of a few beaver down off benefit road

Back
Top Bottom