Anyone giving chicken for Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenannie, Dec 9, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I thought it would make a nice gift (a frozen, dressed chicken or two raised wholesomely at my farm) but am reconsidering whether this is too wacky to give to family or friends as a Christmas present. Plus, how would it be wrapped?
    Anyone doing this? How are you doing it?

2. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I am not but it would be a wonderfully practical gift. It is hard to find well raised chickens these days

I am not sure how much anyone would appreciate it though. [​IMG]

I have always thought about, if you have layers, giving someone a sponsor for a layer. You give them all the eggs from that chicken. I just thought i mention this because i wanted to say it and it might be better than a single meal

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Since my first order of meaties is being shipped tomorrow, I haven't even considered what you're proposing. I can say, though, that if I were to receive such a gift, I'd be thrilled! As to the wrapping, I'll be using a vacuum sealer to shrink wrap the birds I process.

My neighbor had proposed paying me in eggs for her portion of an online order we placed. Since my girls aren't laying yet, I've been the very happy recipient of farm fresh eggs every week!

So, I'd say go for it... you can always add me to your gift list [​IMG].

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My niece gave me 10 meaties a while back because she didn't have any room in her freezer nor time to process them. I processed them and canned 4 of them for her and will give them to her for Christmas! [​IMG]

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Make sure You ask people first before giving them your chickens because not every one is thrilled to eat the chicken in your backyard.
    I eat my own chickens and people are all differend in reacting to this.
    Even if they eat chicken. Chicken that's from the store is okay to eat , chicken that you have process is sad and cruel. Those are things I have heard before. [​IMG]
    I would love to get live chickens for christmas. [​IMG]
    Goodluck [​IMG]:frow

6. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe print up a "gift certificate" entitling them to a fresh dressed chicken, and they can cash it in when it is convenient for them. If you wanted to kick it up a notch beyond that...fix a small basket with non perishable items that would go with a chicken dinner.

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    My sil would never, ever eat chicken from my backyard. She won't even eat eggs from it. Why she thinks the chicken's butt that laid the egg in the store is different from mine, I don't know. She also had a serious fear that I would give them something made with duck eggs which for some reason she thought was gross. Course she doesn't eat deer meat or fish from the lake either. Some people you just can't understand. [​IMG]
    Becky

8. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I agree that not *everyone* wants a chicken for Christmas. However, some of my family have already inquired, so I know at least they they're interested. Those are 2 great ideas -- a gift certificate to be cashed when needed, and a separate gift basket with items to go along with the chicken. Maybe a spice rub, and stuffing and cranberry sauce or such.

Any other ideas?

9. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    any opinions out there?

10. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by